Question on winding aircore inductor by hand - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st January 2006, 07:55 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Question on winding aircore inductor by hand

I want to hand make a 0.22mh coil. I use Shavano"s reference, 60 turns (39 ft.) of 14 AWG wire on a 1.34 inch bobbin. I shall borrow someone's reactance meter to get the desired MH. The question is:
I cannot make parallel layers as some turns are overlapping each other randomly. Does that matter ?Or are there any simple methods to wind the core?
Old 31st January 2006, 08:37 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

hi yukyukyuki, Neville Thiele (of Thiele-Small fame) wrote an article for "The Journal Of the Audio Engineering Society" on aircored inductors some years ago and I recall he made the point that radom winding of the wire seemed to be quite stisfactory. If he found it okay then I suspect the rest of us can. By the way if you are winding many aircored coils you might try tracking this article down as it was very practical and revolved around a novel way of looking at the problem. If I find my copy I'll post the reference.
Old 31st January 2006, 12:44 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I've wound quite a few of my own coils. I used a short section of 22mm copper tube, with two rings of MDF squeezed onto it the right distance apart. The rings keep things tight and allow perfectly parallel layering. It probably doesn't make them perform any better, but it makes the coils look much neater:

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Here's another very useful coil designer. You can change all of the dimensions of the coil to suit. It also tells you the weight and length of wire required and works in AWG, SWG or metric.
Old 31st January 2006, 01:49 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Inexpensive, acurate, sound-card impedance meter:
The sound card impedance tester is here
Old 31st January 2006, 02:23 PM   #5
waltona is offline waltona  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Slightly OT but I notice that Gfinlayson is in the uk.

Where do you get your enammelled wire from? Having looked at Maplin and RS prices I decided that it was probably as cheap to buy readymade inductors.

Cheers

Al
Old 31st January 2006, 03:24 PM   #6
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan Bright
hi yukyukyuki, Neville Thiele (of Thiele-Small fame) wrote an article ...

The Thiele method is what is in the Loudspeaker Design cookbook and also what the Shavano calculator uses. It is also the logic behind the graphs in the Weems books. FWIW, Weems said that scramble wound coils work OK as long as the windings are not too messy.

I think that winding coils is not worth the effort, it might have been a few years ago when large gauge coils were hard to find, but they are easy to find and not much more expensive than the copper nowadays....
Old 31st January 2006, 03:37 PM   #7
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Back in the days when a 5mH coil cost 5 bucks, I decided I was going to wind my own and save some money. As it turns out it cost me 6 bucks of magnet wire and about a half hour to wind the same coil. And mine never did look that purdy.

I have not compared prices recently. Actually, not in the last thirty years. I just buy them.
Old 31st January 2006, 03:47 PM   #8
Puggie is offline Puggie  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

There is a real lack of decent inductor supplies in the UK. A friend of mine got some 16 Gauge stuff for winding some inductors and I have some 12Gauge. I'll try ang get some details but its still not cheap, 10 per kilo with 10kg min order rings a bell, + Vat + P&P of course.

Do you know anyone with a small lathe, that speeds things up a lot!
Old 31st January 2006, 03:58 PM   #9
KCC is offline KCC  Canada
diyAudio Member

the thing about self winding coil is such that you can wind to whatever the value you desired,which often is not available in the market.
Old 31st January 2006, 04:07 PM   #10
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

If that's the case, don't you buy an oversized and unwind it?

Hide this!Advertise here!