New to building, need some advice.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently decided that i want to upgrade the speakers on my old stereo, and I wanted to do it for a small price. So I'm trying to figure out how to build an amp. I plan to use a pair of 150 watt 8 ohm woofers, four 8 ohm speakers, and a pair of 60 watt tweeters. Theese are all things I've found surplus, so I don't have all the specs on them. So basically, I've been looking around the net and in some books, and I've found a schematic for a class B amplifier that looks very simple. It's basically an NPN combined with a PNP transistor. I'd imagine it's really inefficient, but will something like this work for me? I planned to build an amp for each set of speakers, so 6 at least, and then wire them all in parallel to a power supply. Does this sound like it would work? I know that I'll need three way crossovers, but can I put two speakers on each midrange section?

Can you post the schematic for the amp? It is just not possible to build a usable audio power amplifier using just an NPN and a PNP.

If you are on a budget I would just say buy a used amp and speakers. Active is the best way not necessarily the cheapest way.

As Cal said without parameters, your speakers are pretty useless, but the good news is that you can measure them yourself.

Moderator - Cal must have been asleep as he left this thread in the Subwoofers section, it would be better in the Loudspeakers section would it not? :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.