Dilemma

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

The dilemma is whether to refoam my Infinity RS 4000's or use the EMIT's for a home theater center speaker...

The full story:
I have just aquired a pair of B&W DM220's to replace my 610's. They sound better and I really enjoy the improvement. I am currently using a Harman/Kardon pre-amp on a Quad 405-II power amp to drive the B&W's. (Why the H/K pre? Well, it is a HT setup with a HiFi bias...)
Just the other day I went to pick up a Rotel integrated amp I bought for someone else and the seller offered me his Infinity RS 4000's to go along with it. As always, the foam on the mids and woofers is gone. However, it is kitted out with those wonderful EMIT tweeters. So, this has gotten me thinking. If they sound this nice already with half the speaker broken, how well will they sound when finished?
On the other hand, the HT setup could do with a new center as the current JBL really isn't much. So, how about using the two tweeters, adding the mids in repaired condition and running those as a center... Hard questions. Never mind finding a decent design for the center as well....

Hope you guys have some advice.

Arne

I have just connected them up to the Rotel to listen to them again and I have to say that I am leaning towards refoaming myself. I have also been offered the option of rubber surrounds. Would that change the characteristics of the speaker at all? The good side of rubber would be that it lasts much longer than the foam.

Also, does anyone know where I can look at instructions on how to do this, as I am interested, but it is a bit daunting to do it myself. I want to determine whether I am able to or want someone else to do it for me....

Arne

Bring back the infinities to life, re-foam them (no rubber, it will change things a lot, from T/S parameters to dumping of the cone and frequency response) for another 10-15 years, don't do it by yourself or you will have good chances to ruin a driver and end up with a center channel only for your home cinema - my opinions ;-)

Regards,
Thalis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.