RadioShack Linaeum tweeters good?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Im thinking about hopping down to the radioshack to see if they can sell me some Linaeum tweeters. I'll try to get the ones that go on top of the enclosure. Anyone have any experience with these things? Think they will be better than the Dayton PT-2 or whatever (that price range)?

I have a pair of LX-5's that have the Linaeum dipole on top. The tweeter is the secret to this 'lil gem. Its cheap, and has a vary open sound. However they get a little messy above 10k, but it doesnt sound bad.

I have modified the speakers a bit to try and 'fix' some problems with the midrange and the bass (what bass), but I havent played a whole lot with the tweeter.

I have had some trouble finding replacement tweeters at the Shacks around town. None of them seem to sell any speaker componets anymore--only computers and stereos. If you can find them by all means get them. You will probably get them cheap as dirt. You will be suprised.

For more info on the Dipole you can read a few sites about the LX5 mods.
Larry Van Wormer's mods include a crossover for the dipole tweeter and a few comments on there sound. The info is on Eric Wallin's site.

swirv

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Well I ordered some. I had to order them as a replacement part for the LX-5, or the newer LX550 models they sell. I ordered part number 400-1389 I believe. Some sources had suggested 400-1390, but they do not make/sell that part anymore. Anyways they were 29.99 each and they charged me 7.00 to ship them from the distrubution center to my house, which is cool cause I thought I was still gonna have to go and pick them up from the store, which would have meant not only did I have to pay sales tax, BUT i had to pay shipping and still have to go pick them up :mad: .

They came in the old blue optimus boxes, and seemed ok. Have yet to try them out, but I will defenintly remove that little cap thats in there. I will probably hook them up to the tweeter output on my DM302's to see how they sound.

These are gonna end up with some 4" tang bands on a flat fronted 8" sonotube. Gonna be some interesting floorstanders or bookshelfs, havent decided yet.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I have a pr but haven't really tryed them out on anything yet. I have heard mixed reviews (but mostly positive -- you have to lose the built-in cap), and a very positive take from a fellow who stacked them (4 pr IB).

I'll be interested in your results. And i may just drag mine up and try them on top of my pipes.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Westrock2000 said:
Does anyone know the T&S parameters on these things?

I tnink there are measurements somewher out on the net.

Primarily the Fs. You think these things would be happy with a 1st order XO at 3000 Hz? Maybe 3500? Or since I'm using tang bands just push it up to like 6000?

I think the stock XO is 1st order at 3-3.5k but is considered too low by most. I'd push the XO as high as you can. Unless you plan on rolling off the top of the TBs even 6k is probably too low (a series XO might be worth a try here).

dave

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
But if I cross the ribbon over real high, wont it start to become less used? Seems like any higher than 6K and I'm listening to the cones not the ribbon. And a 1st order series does sound nice. Except on a series, dont all the drivers have to be the same impedence?

Another question. If I connect a non-inductive resistor like a Mills or something as a speaker will it change the ohms? For example a 8 ohm speaker and a 8 ohm resistor in parallel, will that make a 4 ohm load?

Basically so I can use two 8 ohm tang bands and make it back to 8 ohms total to use with the 8 ohm tweeter.

Disabled Account
Joined 2001
Just to make things a bit easier on you perhaps: Optimize design at about 15 degrees horizontal. As you approach 0 degress horiztonal, a 3db peak occus centered at 4khz and at about 8 or 9 khz too, as well as frequencies above about 15khz are attenuated signficcantly. MOve slightly off axis, and these problems pretty much disappear. Attempt to optimize for listening on 0 degree horiztonal axis will result in a subjectively 'harsh' and 'unrealistic' presentation. Also, according to my subjective impressions, you should have at least 4' from the rear wall and 3' from the side wall in the room where tweeter will be used for listening otherwise the reflected sound will degrade, instead of enhance the ambient field. Stacking multiple linaeum units are not recommend unless one unit does not provide adequate maximum spl for dynamics. Stacking the units will increase the vertical radiation area, thus narrowing vertical dispersion. Of course, if one of your objectives is to narraw vertical dispersion, then please ignore last suggestion. Be certain to use a midwoofer that has dispersion that has no more than 2db variation at fc with the linaeum driver at 30 degrees horiztonal, as a minimum required suggestion. I recommend no less than an electrical 3.5khz 1st order fc, optimally 2nd order or greater at this frequency or higher otherwise the linaeum driver will produce high levels of distortion at moderate to high spl levels if you attempt to cross low. ALso, with lower crossover points the driver is prone to damage.

-Chris

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I'll probably do a 2nd order at 3K. I hooked them directly up to an amp this morning and at low volumes they sound pretty good. But as the volume got higher, they got very harsh. This was using the stock crossover cap, which I will remove. Also that was just with the tweeter, so the lack of lower frequencies probably made it sound harsher. I imagine the chea cap has much to do with it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.