wmtmw driver spacing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know the maximum between drivers of an mtm is determined by the distance of the wavelenght at the xo point.

Within that limit, is it best to keep the drivers as close together as possible or give them some space.

The reason Im asking is that I want to make a WMTMW version of Vinces VHT with the dayton aluminum drivers. Estimating that the woofer to mid XO is at 400 hz, and assuming I have the formula correct (distance of the wavelength=speed of sound(33300)/frequency in hertz(400)) I calculated that the maximum distance allowable between drivers is 83cm. I think that the D'appolito white paper says that woofer to tweeter, but even if its woofer to woofer, thats still more then the 69cm sum total of the driver diameters.

69cm is pretty small, and the VHT speaker is WAY bigger than that. Of course its a MTMWW but the mids alone are probably in the range of 69cm. So why is this speaker so tall? Is there any advantage?

I assume the best thing for me to do is to just squeeze the drivers as close together as possible, which is what Ill do if no one gives me a good reason not to.

Besides I might put a sub driver at the bottom of the cabinet to really get down low. :devilr:

Im not worried about vertical dispersion. If Im not sitting down and listening I dont really notice much about the sound.

The drivers most likely will be closer together then in the VHT. Ill likely space them right next to one another. Ill most likely leave them in a vertical alignment rather then offsetting the tweeter since I think this is more cosmetically pleasing.

Its woofer-to-tweeter spacing, but it might take me some time to find where I referenced that.

The reason I'm reviving this old thread is that I also hope that someone can answer this related question. (Which wasn't clear in what I read elsewhere.) I know that the formula for W-to-T spacing is 13,503.94 / x-over = spacing in inches, but, is that "D" or "R", (radius), in this diagram?

(When using offset tweeters.)

Attachments

• D-Appolito-spacing.png
    D-Appolito-spacing.png
    37 KB · Views: 163
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.