Very basic questions regarding LSPCad and measurements

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all!

I've been using LSPCad for some time in two projects. One of them ended up sounding OK, the other one was a failure (and it was a basic full-range speaker!).

I decided to get Vance Dickason's Cookbook. Now I understand plenty of things I did wrong, and will tackle the second project again.

Still, I have two very basic questions regarding LSPCad...

1) I know I have to measure the tweeter's response at 1 M; then the woofer's response at 1 M; then both drivers' response at 1 M. My question is, where should I place the mic when taking those measurements? Along the tweeter's axis? Midway between tweeter and woofer? Somewhere else? Also, when I have every measurement, should I play with the Z-axis until the individual measurements add up exactly like their combined response?

2) I have already measured the impedance of the drivers using the Dayton Woofer Tester II (Woofers). Can I directly measure the tweeter's impedance, or should I add a cap before the tweeter? Also, should I measure the impedance while inside the enclosure, or in free air?

I know these are very basic questions, but I've been looking, and I can't find the answers!

fjhuerta said:
Hi all!

I've been using LSPCad for some time in two projects. One of them ended up sounding OK, the other one was a failure (and it was a basic full-range speaker!).

I decided to get Vance Dickason's Cookbook. Now I understand plenty of things I did wrong, and will tackle the second project again.

Still, I have two very basic questions regarding LSPCad...

1) I know I have to measure the tweeter's response at 1 M; then the woofer's response at 1 M; then both drivers' response at 1 M. My question is, where should I place the mic when taking those measurements? Along the tweeter's axis? Midway between tweeter and woofer? Somewhere else?
The tweeters axis if it is the listening hight.
Also, when I have every measurement, should I play with the Z-axis until the individual measurements add up exactly like their combined response?
Yes, I always take two kontrol measurements, one with drivers in phase and one with drivers out of phase. The microphone should be at the exact same place as the single driver measerements.

2) I have already measured the impedance of the drivers using the Dayton Woofer Tester II (Woofers). Can I directly measure the tweeter's impedance, or should I add a cap before the tweeter?
If its a normal dome tweeter and the amp dosnt have dc out you can connect direct but disconnect before switching on and off.
Also, should I measure the impedance while inside the enclosure, or in free air?
In cabinet.

I know these are very basic questions, but I've been looking, and I can't find the answers!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.