Mtm Dipole Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Starting next weekend I'm starting a MTM dipole using the SEAS W18's and Hiquphon OW1F's... temporally i plan on using the Rane RPM26Z for the processor until I can afford the DEQX..

My question is..would it be wise to dedicate a channel of processing and a channel of amplification to each W18? or can I get away with keep both drivers on the same channel?

thanks guys

Just my personal opinion, but I think that really depends on how well your amp can handle the drivers minimum impedance.
I don't see any down side to 1 amp per speaker, I crossover port per amp if you aren't compromising elsewhere to do it.

Good luck, sounds like a fun project,

Doug

trusound said:
Starting next weekend I'm starting a MTM dipole using the SEAS W18's and Hiquphon OW1F's... temporally i plan on using the Rane RPM26Z for the processor until I can afford the DEQX..

My question is..would it be wise to dedicate a channel of processing and a channel of amplification to each W18? or can I get away with keep both drivers on the same channel?

thanks guys

(JPK) You should have no problems driver 2 W18's in parallel with any decent amp. The most difficult part of getting the response correct will be having good measurements of the W18 on an open baffle. Assuming you are using a flat baffle you may want to take a look at my method for measureing dipoles as it will apply to your W18 response. http://www.musicanddesign.com/measure_dipole.html

FYI, You will need to limit the W18s to above 100 Hz with a minimum of a 3rd order HP filter.

Thanks guys!!!! I'll have all the processing power i need with the rane..the reason I asked is that it's easier to find amplification for 4 channels instead of 6...

I'll post pics when I start..my new router table arrived today and my new router templates will be in soon :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.