Soft-dome midrange driver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After Dynaudio decided not to talk to DIY-ers anymore it`s not easy to find any good sounding 2" or 3" domes for a four-way system.
Does anyone know where to find some? Monacor are still selling one 2"`, that`s all I know:confused:

Attachments

• headbang.gif
    headbang.gif
    5.6 KB · Views: 1,394
atc mid...

hi there...

i have the atc scm 100sl, a 3-way using the 3" mid-dome!

its good, its the best - every larger speaker should be based on that driver.
the idear is to cover the very critical 300 - 4000 hz without any crossover.
it has mega powerhandling.
its "linear"
it has good diffussion.....
it sounds total neutral.

if i should build a speaker and use the atc dome, i would definitely
use the "original atc crossover - which have impedance correction "up and down" and 12 db slopes "up and down"

best regards,
troels

Thanks for the tips folks! The ATC is crying too loud for me, I`ll have to strangle it to fit the other divers! Mybe in a later project?
And; I`m just using the mid-dome as a "low-tweeter", that means a good 2"-dome will do the job close to perfect, better than the ATC.(-after replacing the back-chamber and a little tuning..)

Any more info about ATC dome?

Nice to see the ATC dome getting a mention here, as it is one that I have contemplated for a speaker I'm planning for after I have finished my bass cabinets.

There doesn't seem to be much info on this driver, even on the ATC website. All I can find out is that recommended XO frequency is 380 Hz, and it looks like it has its own rear chamber, so you don't need an enclosure for it. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Troels - what do you mean by "Impedance correction "up and down"" ? Do you have any XO schematics for the driver?

Any other information appreciated.

Mick

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The ATC is very hard to find out much about. Anyone else have any leads?

What's the efficiency? It's true that the website doesn't seem to have info on it. What website are you guys looking at?
Anyone know any dealers?

Sounds like with the Stage Accompany tweet and some PHL or Audax woofs that this is the DIY Audio high output speaker.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
I have never seen much in the way of specs for the ATC drivers, I think they play it fairly close to their chest, as ATC prefer to sell complete systems.

I suspect the only way to get these parameters is to buy a couple and measure them, but at the moment I don't have the disposable income:(

The only frustration I have is that they don't go up high enough to reach the Audax HD3P gold dome tweeter, as that really needs a crossover of around 5K to work well.

Do you have any references for the Stage Accompany tweeter, Mark? It is not one I am familiar with.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Although my search of the speakers forum didn't net much, the Stage Accompany drivers have been mentioned on DIY Audio.

The jist is that even without a horn they are over 100db efficient,
sound fantastic, and handle tons of power. VERY expensive: $600 ea I believe

http://www.stageaccompany.com/usa/
http://www.stageaccompany.com/

So the company is similar to ATC in that their major business is sound systems put together with their own drivers.

However I think they both will sell the drivers, it is just a very small part of their business so isn't well documented.

Maybe this is a good project for us to look into

Esg2 tweeter is efficient but how much power can it take?
@ $200, a lot more appealing though!

http://www.e-speakers.com/

TAD PT-R9's are very highly regarded, anyone know anytthing?

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
It sounds like both Stage Accompany and Audax have been approaching the same problem from slightly different angles:)

http://www.audax.com/tech/tweeter_edome.shtml

Without hearing them, it's hard to say, ( I have always been wary of the directionality of ribbons), but it looks like a well engineered driver, and I like their philosophy as I read their web pages.

I agree, this could be the ultimate high sensitivity system here, but we need to think about the bottom end!

Troels, could you post a schematic?

Hi Test Pilot,

I have two D54 AF almost mint condition that I would sell, I bought them arround 15 years ago and did some testing with them but decided not to use them because the sensitivity was to high for my system and was a 3 way project. They are still in it's original boxes.

Anyone interested?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.