Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th January 2006, 09:21 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Hey guys

Hello everyone. I'm new to this board and also new to diy speaker buliding. What got me really into speaker building was that I recently was in the market to pick up monitors for my home studio. After months of searching and debating on other audio engineer forums, and months of listening, I finally decided to pick up a pair of mackie 824. They were really expensive new so I decided to pick up a pair used. Found a really good deal and when I was testing out the speaker with the owner, the woofer blew. I got really ticked off and went home without the speakers. The next day I stopped at my local pro audio shop, and picked up a pair of used 824's they had, after testing them for about 2 hours. No problems, running super smooth, and I was even able to a/b them to brand new 824's. Happy as a dog went home and everything running smooth. But, I started thinking about the dude's speakers that blew up. I went online and after about a five minute research I found the exact same woofers that were sitting right in front of me, for $44.95. I think I got hard on just thinking about that price. It hit me in the face like a freakin brick. Now, after I just purchased my monitors, and going through months of debate, I'm in the market to get new monitors. This time replicas of the really expensive ones. My first project I want to complete is to do a replica of ADAM Audio S4V MK 2's. I did a quick search and found the woofer I believe that is the same ones used for about $150. So my question is, do you guys know where I can start. I mean if I were to buy these alone, I would spend atleast 7,000. I have the time and woodworking know how to build some killer killer speakers. I have never done wood work before, but my brother is a carpenter, and he wouldn't mind venturing on a project like this as long as we do 2 pairs! I have no speaker building experience, but I have the ears and my brother has the hands to make this happen. Any one know where to start to purchase the things needed to make this dream a reality? Sorry for the long post, hope to hear from someone soon.
Old 26th January 2006, 09:50 AM   #2
diyAudio Moderator

Welcome to diyAudio, Gatekeeper.

Ok, hard question first, do you want to make music as a hobby or as a source of income, or build speakers?

If the former, then buy your Adams, (nice speakers by the way, I heard them at IBC a couple of years ago, and I was pleasantly suprised). If the latter, then eventually, with much hard work, sweat, testing, cursing, measuring, time, and money, in about a year you will have a speaker that sounds a bit better. Then you will start thinking about upgrading...

Your call!
Old 26th January 2006, 10:11 AM   #3
chrish is offline chrish  Australia
diyAudio Member

I am sure that after doing a little research on this and other similar forums, you will see the advice that a speaker is more than just a box with some speaker drivers in it. The speaker is made up of the drivers, an enclosure and a crossover. All must be appropriate and designed to go together. unless you can duplicate the enclosures and crossover of your desired commercial speaker, your result will not be what you desire. I know you now have in mind that you want to build the speakers you saw in the showroom for 1/4 the price, but this will most likely not be the right path to take. You will get a much better result if you simply build (without modification) a well established, well documented, proven do-it-yourself design. Before you decide on what design to build, however, you should do some auditioning and research. If you can, try to audition speakers built by other enthusiasts and decide which ones sound good to you. If you cannot do this, listen to commercial designs and note what styles of speakers (closed box, bass reflex, transmission line, open baffle, etc) and what brands of drivers you enjoy listening to. Use these results to find a project that matches your likes and then ask for some more advice on these forums. Also, dont forget that the room you place the speakers in also becomes a part of the total system, so you will need to take this in to consideration as well, ie a set of bookshelf speakers is not going to work part, particularly well in a very large room... Also, you may need to consider the efficiency of the speaker if you are using a modest powered amp.

So, to summarise, I think you would get a better result using a well established design. If you do want some suggestions for speaker designes, you will have to let people know what size your listening area is, what type of music you like to listen to, how loud you like to listen, the power output of the amp you will be using, and how much money you would like to spend.

Building your own gear can be very rewarding and addictive.

Good luck!

chrish
Old 26th January 2006, 10:53 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Just browsing and saw someone mention this on another thread. http://www.madisound.com/kgamps.html

This may be suitable to power your sub and new speakers and provide the electronic crossover at 150hz. Someone with a little more experience with this amp might be able to comment on its suitability.

Good luck
Old 26th January 2006, 10:30 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Oops, posted above post on wrong thread. Sorry...

Hide this!Advertise here!