Linkwitz bipolar designs - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th September 2001, 08:24 AM   #1
hifiZen is offline hifiZen  Canada
diyAudio Member

somebody posted a link to http://www.linkwitzlab.com/ on another thread here, and I had a look. Mr. Linkwitz has some very interesting things to say about room acoustics and speaker design... He has made available a bipolar speaker design based on this philosophy called the Phoenix... it is a close cousin of the Audio Artistry speakers which he also designed. Has anyone out there heard any of these speakers? Opinions?

Incidentally, Mr. Linkwitz also proposes a rather unconventinal approach to recreating the "realism" of a live event... read his Surround Sound section and the Doug Rife link for details.
Old 8th November 2001, 07:57 PM   #2
wwood is offline wwood  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Curious, no replys

I, too find Mr. Linkwitz's site interesting and am surprised that your post has no responses. Have you learned any more about his speakers? I am thinking of building his Phoenix system out of curiosity.
Old 8th November 2001, 09:44 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Here's a website that you guys might find useful\

http://members.tripod.com/jimmcdougall/

Old 17th November 2001, 06:49 AM   #4
hifiZen is offline hifiZen  Canada
diyAudio Member

I havn't really been doing much in the way of speakers lately (busy with other stuff), but the bipolar design got me to thinking about the original Quad ESLs... which are really just bipolar electrostatics. Could Mr. Linkwitz's theories help explain the Quad's cult following? For such an old design, many people still swear by it as the last word in musical transparency. I did also find an interesting links on a bipolar subwoofer, which I'll have to dig up again.

I really like the idea of minimizing room interaction, and I too was rather surprised at the lack of responses. It seems to me that room acoustics is aften overlooked when designing the speaker itself, and is instead treated as a separate problem...

Thomas: thank you for the link! I'll go check it out.

Hide this!Advertise here!