High-end 3-way active Avalon look-alike - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th January 2006, 02:01 PM   #1
fgroen is offline fgroen  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default High-end 3-way active Avalon look-alike

Hi All,

I promised some time ago to post a topic on the construction of my new loudspeakers.

Firstly started off as a 4-way system, using an Eton 12" woofer, Accuton C2-220 low-mid, C2-79 mid and C2-12 tweeter. Design was made, components bought and due to active set-up the required amplifier channels purchased (i.e. 2x Classé CAV-150)

The 4-way concept daunted me a bit, but what the heck..

.. And then came the C2-90 midrange unit. What a beauty!! Functionally merging the C2-220 and the C2-79 into one unit. So bought a pair of these too. I'm now the proud owner of a collection of Accuton units that will allow me to open a shop.

So it's going to be a 3-way after all with the Eton woofer, C2-90 mid and C2-12 tweeter.

Filter is the SAW-30.3 of Thel which is an amazing piece of circuitry. Combined with a dual-mono no-compromise power supply this unit operates flawless.

At the moment I'm busy building the cabinets. I keep a minute log of the process on a Dutch forum: Topic on Dutch forum

Sorry for the language but there are loads of pictures that make up for that.

Some pics: (click on them for better viewing)

Design, front view
Click the image to open in full size.

Design, side view

Internal bracing, current status

The baffles:

Hardware!! (maybe I'm goint to use both nevertheless as mono blocks... )

Will keep you posted. Most recent updates will be on the Dutch forum, so if interested, keep checking that one... The thread there is very visual, so Dutch is not required.
Old 4th August 2006, 08:18 AM   #2
fgroen is offline fgroen  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Sorry for a long silence guys!

Most of the reporting about this project goes on on the Dutch HT-forum, so that topic is most up to date. (see link in previous post.)

I haven't been slacking around though, despite a hot summer here in Holland.

Short overview:

Glueing one of the cabinets

The top- and bottom sides of the baffle were not yet angled like the rest of the cabinet

After some creative routing and sanding they were

It turned out that because of using G-clamps during glueing there was quit some tension in the cabinets and the top and bottom panels took the pounding. In other words: they were bent. So I set up a reference plane above these sides and routed the cabinets square and flat:

Reference plane by two parallel Aluminium L-shaped profiles:

Routing

Result

After the trimming of the edges a 6mm MDF layer was glued on.

Both cabinets built:

Next step is cutting off the corners. I was a bit apprehensive about that. Screwing things up at this stage would be very frustrating....

So for the first cut I put aluminium strips on the cabinet to guide the hand-saw, but that was a nightmare. The saw was biting in the aluminium all the time. So in the end I just did it without strips. With a bit of concentration and making sure that the guiding lines are drawn up correctly it was actually a piece of cake:

The cut edges are covered with 3mm MDF to get a smooth surface:

And that is what one cabinet looks like when all corners are cut off:

Starts to look like something decent.

At the moment I'm completing the step of cutting the corners off the second cabinet. After that I need to vineer them. Still looking for a nice vineer. I think it will be bird's eye Ahorn.

So that's it for the moment. Keep checking the Dutch HT-forum for the latest pictures. Also the pictures shown here are just a subset of the pictures posted on the Dutch HT-forum. So for more pictures you can also consult my topic on the Dutch HT-forum.

Cheers, Fokke.
Old 4th August 2006, 01:54 PM   #3
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

I always am impressed by the people who work slowly, I tend to be more of the "get it done already!!!" mindset, I make strong cabs, but not typically as obsessively (that's a compliment) as one like yours.

Very nice work!
Old 4th August 2006, 03:43 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Old 4th August 2006, 03:54 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

That thing looks bomb-proof. You've given me a few ideas here actually for a pair of dirty great horns I'm contemplating. Love the angles you've cut. Being a fan of plywood aesthetically, do you reckon it'd be possible to cut that like the MDF -could give a very interesting effect with the different layers of ply revealed.
Old 4th August 2006, 05:47 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default cutting ply

to cut plywood like that I´d think you´d need a high speed circular saw like the one my carpenter uses - with a 24" blade! Otherwise, the exposed surface might be uneven. And you wanted it to be seen, remember.
(I´ve grown too picky to watch my own enclosures, so I´ll have to pay..)
Old 4th August 2006, 10:37 PM   #7
sqlkev is offline sqlkev  United States
diyAudio Member

Looks 100x better than what I'm building right now!

Did you use the handsaw and saw off the angle baffle cuts by yourself? or was there some sort of a guide ?

I'm also curious about the midrange enclosure, looks like a lot of work, I hope the speakers sound as good as the project looks.
Old 5th August 2006, 08:45 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I take back what I said about these things looking bomb-proof. I suspect they would withsand nuclear attack.

Perhaps if I tried it with ply, I should use my little plane... I must be mad. Wibble.
Old 6th August 2006, 07:42 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to 69stingray Send a message via MSN to 69stingray Send a message via Yahoo to 69stingray
Incredible, great work.
Old 6th August 2006, 08:03 PM   #10
ggta is offline ggta  France
diyAudio Member

Looks great. I've a project that looks close

Tell us more about the size of the cabinet and the number of litres for each driver? Will the Eton be in a vented or closed cabinet?

Hide this!Advertise here!