3-way or 4-way dipoles?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have these current pieces to begin building my new dipole speakers:

Four Dayton RS12 HiFi subs (2 per speaker)
Four Dayton RS180 mids (2 per speaker)
Two Dayton RS28A unshielded tweeters

My initial plan was to do an MTM up top, inspired by Monte Kay's RS dipole project. After reading about his new dipole project I started thinking of a different project for myself:

http://www.mfk-projects.com/in_the_works.htm

I'm thinking of sticking with the Dayton RS12 HiFi subs, going with dual Dayton RS225 midbass drivers, dual Dayton RS125 mids, and a single Dayton RS28A tweeter, in a WMTMW configuration, or possibly a single RS125 to create a WMTW top section. Monte runs his Excel 4.5" mid from 700hz to 2100hz, which would help alleviate both the RS180s and RS28A from problem areas, if I were to stick with the original plan. I do like massive dynamics and that was the thinking behind dual mids, but I could be swayed to using a single RS125.

For this project I would be using a Behringer DCX2496, which I already own. In the case of building the dipoles with separate woofers and mids I would need another DCX2496, which isn't really a big problem. Two DCX2496s provide 12 channels of crossover. These speakers would require 8, a center channel could take 3, and the infinite baffle sub I'll be using to augment 25-30hz and down will take the last channel. These will be used roughly 80% for music, and the only time I would use the center or IB is for watching movies.

With that, do you guys see any flaws in my plan? I like going overboard when building stuff and I hate to second guess anything I do. Going 4-way active dipoles will leave me with something I don't think I could second guess, as there's not much more you can do! I love Dayton RS drivers, so I'm 100% sold on those.

Thanks for any input you guys can give me!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.