Centre channel configuration (Extremis & North D28)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I started building a sideways MTM using Extremis 6.8’s and a North D28. But I’ve become increasingly worried about the correctness of this configuration for a centre channel (what with lobing ‘n all). I concede that I should have built at least a 3-way

. T
WMW

But I have just about enough space to squeeze in a Morel MDM55 2” mid, which I’m inclined to do.

Is this a good solution?
Any opinions on this mid?
What crossover frequencies would suit this design?

In my opinion a W-T/M-W is always better than a M-T-M. A dome midrange goes safely only to like ~500Hz, while I think it would be better to get the x-over frequency a bit lower than that. If you've already built the enclosures and can't fit a bigger midrange (4"-5") you can go with a dome. The MDM-55 should be a good choice.

Of cource you should always keep your center as similar as possible as your mains.

sreten
I have looked at that part, and it is indeed interesting, but I have not found any info indicating that it might match the performance of the configuration I'm presently considering.

Landroval
My floorstanders are TMM's and the surrounds are TM's (D28's and Extremiis). I intend matching them by FR for this project. Next time, I'll definitely have a mid for at least the front and centre speakers.

Shaun said:
sreten
I have looked at that part, and it is indeed interesting, but I have not found any info indicating that it might match the performance of the configuration I'm presently considering.

[

Shaun,

I have the Swan 3C center, which uses that part (see below)....it is definitely a very capable combo, and very musical. BUT, it is NOT in the same caliber as the Seas or Morel offerings, or even the Vifa ones. IT IS, however, a phenomenal offering for the price!

Attachments

• sherv_av_0022_small.jpg
    sherv_av_0022_small.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 83
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.