first time

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
good day, i'm one of those guys that went through the stereo shops and was wishing i had enough money to purchase or even have my pesant ears hear the B&W 800D. I've come to the conculsion that if I'm ever going to own a pair of quality speakers, I'm giong to have to build them. Most of you guys have been there and done that. Can you help me?

I guess i could be a bit more clear, I have build speakers in the past. I used to go straight for the large 18" and 15" paper woofers and build the mid and highs to suit my ear. the crossovers were also jerry-rigged from existing and at that time available parts. my equipment was for the most part was trial and error. there are some thing about todays components that would like to try such as the diamond tweeter and smaller woofers. As you can tell I will need some education to shake the old radio shack approach to speaker building.

pythagorasX6 said:
As you can tell I will need some education to shake the old radio shack approach to speaker building.

What exactly is the Radio Shack approach? I use Radio Shack drivers and a 30 year old RS SPL meter. A friend of mine wasn't lucky enough to get in on the Radio Shack close outs a few years ago, so he's stuck with using Morel, Seas and Audax drivers. But he does have a Radio Shack SPL meter so he's able to make due.
I suspect that the Rat Shack was responsible for getting more than few people started.
Best Regards,
TerryO

thanks TerryO,
I'm not slammin RS, I've used there drivers and a good number of there meters and test equipment. when they were an supplier to the military with communication equipment they had an outstanding selection of electronics. that was yesterday, Today I've looked at partsexpress and Madisound and the drivers they have to offer and decided to ask for some feedback before i go through the purchase and add to a growing stockpile of unused drivers. The reason i used the B&W 800D model as an example was it was a familiar format. Freq. Response 32Hz - 28kHz ±3dB
duel woofers, mid and a tweeter i would realy like to test. Is it better then a titanium or soft dome. will it realy carry to 45kHz before drop-off.
As far as i've investigated, the drivers found at partsexpress and Madisound are my only choice, however i may be over-looking the very drivers i'm looking for at these two locations becuase i have not tried a combination you may have.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.