external passive crossover - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd January 2006, 02:51 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default external passive crossover

Hi all

Have recently finished some IPL M3TML speakers and was thinking about making an external crossover with better components.
Being completely ignorant on such matters (but confusing myself after reading a few similar threads) I was wondering if the distance of the xover to the speakers means I have to change anything or can I use exactly the same components (thinking of inductors here)
Old 22nd January 2006, 10:28 PM   #2
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

My IPL A2's use external crossovers, situated close to the power amps. I use the same value components and it works fine.
Old 24th January 2006, 07:27 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi there Spacejay, I think that using external xovers makes a large diffenrence to the overall fidelity of ANY loudspeaker.
Coz when removed from the vibration in the cabinet the xover can do its job virtually unhindered.I use my xovers close (less than 10 inches away from the power amplifier) to the amplifiers.
I also have screwed mine to the wall and have used neutrik speakon connectors for inouts and outputs. Although not as clean reproduction as an active xover its pretty dam. close.
S
ps. just go ahead do it!
Old 24th January 2006, 08:22 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the replies.

The message seems to be that any Xover is best placed near the power amp rather then nearer the speaker. How important is that?
Old 24th January 2006, 11:41 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Howismydriving
It is better for overall quality of sound, but make sure it is not too close that the power cord or other components that could cause electromagnetic interference.

Hide this!Advertise here!