DIY loudspeaker vs. factory built loudspeaker - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th May 2011, 10:27 PM   #81
Account disabled at member's request

Im really curious and a bit sceptic. "Commercial speakerare only there to make a buck" Well maybe, but to sell, it gonna need to sounds good. So no argument here abou why not trust a company. They still can put out a product that sounds good, they need to otherwise, they wont sell their speakers! and what about vintage speakers folks. I still prefer my dynaco a25, to some 3k focals at the shop. Im just wondering how much you guys have made comparision between diy speakers and vintage or commercial speakers. If you claim that the speakers you have made is good in comparison to ue new commercial over priced speakers but without seriously tried vintage classics, good commercial speakers and the diy speakers, well your opinions are just worth nothing. Who have made direct comparision between your diy speakers versus a whole lot of vintage and new speakers
Old 15th May 2011, 11:20 PM   #82
diyAudio Member

If by DIY you mean "design it yourself" then I think the odds of outclassing a good commercial design are fairly long. If instead you mean "do (build) it yourself" based on a proven design then I think it's a no-brainer. I have a pair of Linkwitz Orions that fit the bill if you have $3K to spend. Pluto will get you there for less. I don't have personal experience but have read good things about gedlee's designs. Few DIY audiophiles have the talent, equipment, facilities, time and resources to iterate systematically to an optimum outcome, but there are a few who have got there & you can stand on their shoulders.
Old 15th May 2011, 11:44 PM   #83
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphythecat8 View Post
Im really curious and a bit sceptic. "Commercial speakerare only there to make a buck" Well maybe, but to sell, it gonna need to sounds good. So no argument here abou why not trust a company. They still can put out a product that sounds good, they need to otherwise, they wont sell their speakers! and what about vintage speakers folks. I still prefer my dynaco a25, to some 3k focals at the shop. Im just wondering how much you guys have made comparision between diy speakers and vintage or commercial speakers. If you claim that the speakers you have made is good in comparison to ue new commercial over priced speakers but without seriously tried vintage classics, good commercial speakers and the diy speakers, well your opinions are just worth nothing. Who have made direct comparision between your diy speakers versus a whole lot of vintage and new speakers
Well, if I understand what you're saying, then yes I'll make that claim.
Your statement is obtuse, not well thought out and calls for a conclusion that you cannot honestly make.

This type of post is what is commonly called "a troll" and, as such, doesn't deserve the time of day.
Old 16th May 2011, 12:27 PM   #84
doug20 is offline doug20  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphythecat8 View Post
Its just common sense.

The price of a commercial design is > 80% overhead. Example $2K speakers will have about $400 of real parts in them. The $1600 in top of that is all other costs (distribution, marketing, R&D, Margins, Dealer Margins (I Like ID models better), Salaries, Health Care and EVERYTHING else that goes into running abusiness). When we build a speaker the price tag on our speaker is only that $400. We do not need add the "other" costs into our builds since everything else is free to us.

Its a common ratio, our $400 speakers can be compared to $2K speakers. Our $2K speakers can be compared to $10K speakers.

We can also customize our designs to our very specific needs where its much harder sometimes to find that comercial option that will fit 100%.

Speaker building isnt Rocket Science and those working for comercial companies do not have access to resources we can not access. Remeber we only need to build one set of speakers vs 1000 units Big difference in how costs are structured and the perfection is on our side.

This is all very logical too me for any to argue against DIY easily beating Comercial tells me that individual has no experience in DIY.

I compare speakers all the time. I have yet to find a comercial speaker that matches what DIY offers. Measurements also back up what DIYers have been doing for years!!

Last edited by doug20; 16th May 2011 at 12:31 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!