DIY loudspeaker vs. factory built loudspeaker - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th January 2006, 06:44 PM   #21
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

My DIY speakers are better than anything available commercially. The reason is simple. I can tailor the sound to my liking while the commercial people are restricted. They will try and get a nice response curve which may or may not appeal to the listener. Now, after many years of listening and building, I know what I want and can go ahead and build it.

My ears don't hear the low end very well so I appreciate the bass boost of a plate amp, it helps "balance" things for me. I also like a rather bright high end, so again I'm free to build that into the design and not have to worry about any EQ.

With that sort of freedom, a commercial product hardly stands a chance. So, who builds the worlds best speakers? I do.

Know who else does? - You.
Old 20th January 2006, 08:26 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

well said cal ! lets go build speakers
Old 20th January 2006, 08:39 PM   #23
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Merci,

Oui allons construire quelques haut-parleurs.
(free translation)
Old 20th January 2006, 09:49 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

you have a very good free ench

the thing important about the topic, is that i also believe that DIY can beat commercial speakers anyday, and that 99 % of the people, either diyist or audiophiles who buy expensive speakers don't really care about this point. Music is all about emotion. and speakers are too !

on a more serious note, what i love in diy is not to outperform commercial designs for a fraction of the price, this is only the side effect.
Because if you are talking about the price, the time i used to build speakers could have been used to earn good money (i'm a student), and if you are talking about the sound, most people who buy the BEST SOUNDING SPEAKERS EVER, don't think about their room's sound,wich is what you hear the most in a design like the nautilus wich is made to have the widest dispersion possible. That is a good indicator of how much B&W and their consumers care about sound, and lots of DIY'er also

the whole thing is about FUN, if you take more fun into intoxicating yourself with MDF dust than into spending thousands of dollars for a speaker built into exotic materials whose names sound like science fiction, then you are in the right place !
Old 20th January 2006, 09:55 PM   #25
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Nemophyle
if you take more fun into intoxicating yourself with MDF dust
And maybe a or two
Old 20th January 2006, 10:09 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cal Weldon

And maybe a or two
Surely you don't drink whilst on the job?

The last time I did that I suffered wood droop.
Old 20th January 2006, 10:14 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Amen to that (where's that Shiraz I've been saving? ). In response to an above query, yes, of course there are objective er, objectives, and measurements. I don't just slap them together and trust to luck you know -I'm a fairly partisan (some would call rabid) supporter of Martin King and his magnificent work in simulating the behaviour of different enclosures. And I'm at a stage now where, like many others, I can engineer a flatter response for my room better than any of the commercials (assuming they're even trying for neutrality, which is by no means invariable). Which is how I initially proceed. I might then add a touch at cut-off, or reduce a part of the range to tailor it to my taste, the room, or whatever I'm aiming to achieve. Objective rules, I'm with you 100% on that: if there's a difference, then you can measure it, and I'm no follower of the voodoo nonsense like fancy cables, don't get that idea. But there are other points to consider too as well as a flat frequency response.

Remember that human hearing is not linear. If it was, we'd all have an easier time of it. Also -which would provide the more realistic rendering of, say, a Yo Yo Ma cello recording -a BBC LS3/5a or, say, one of Terry Cain's big BEN double horns? Well, I know which is the more neutral in measured response, and to the recording, but for all that, it doesn't sound like a cello. The other one does. And -what if you listen to a lot of rock? I do, hense my liking a shot of warmth in the mid-bass. A perfectly neutral speaker would render much of it unlistenable, and anything that makes PJ Harvey unlistenable as far as I'm concerned is of no use to me.

Best
Scott
Old 20th January 2006, 10:17 PM   #28
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by ShinOBIWAN
Surely you don't drink whilst on the job?
No sir, only after work when I get to play with my speakers.
Old 20th January 2006, 10:22 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cal Weldon

No sir, only after work when I get to play with my speakers.
OK, well that is most definitely cool.

I'm lost. What was the point again... ah yes, nonsense
Old 20th January 2006, 11:03 PM   #30
thalis is offline thalis  Greece
diyAudio Member

Nicely said: ------I might then add a touch at cut-off, or reduce a part of the range to tailor it to my taste, the room, or whatever I'm aiming to achieve.------

So, a big difference between companies and a DIYer is the difference in their target group. Companies have to build something that is ‘generally accepted’, that would be in the ‘middle point’ of what is accepted as ‘good quality’ in a given era, and also that would pass the magazine's tests, either acoustical or technical. The DIYer in the other hand has only himself to please. And, if he understands that after the designing and prototyping and technical researching, he would preferably please himself with his ears in the end, and if he wouldn’t force his ears to accept his technical certainties as more enjoyable (there is such a danger), then he would have great chances to succeed and enjoy his music.

Regards,
Thalis

Hide this!Advertise here!