Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th January 2006, 01:58 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Keyser,
I think first indispensable thing a good DIY need is time to "learne" to listen and evalutation hi-fi 2ch music reproduction. IMHO This is not automatic and not democratical ,unfortunately (time,money,opportunity,natural inclination,etc.) .
Good listeners are RARE, IMHO .
You are right about evalutate the single audio component into your room with your well knowed "chain".
But, I am sorry , I not need of A-B direct comparision to evalutate if the whole system sound or not.
Just my personal opinion.
Cheers,
Inertial
Old 20th January 2006, 02:05 PM   #12
keyser is offline keyser  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

i don't mean i need a direct reference to deside if a system sounds good or not, rather that i need to listen to two speakers in one session if i am to decide which of the two i regard as better sounding.
If there is some time (this can be as little as 5 minutes) between listening to the first speaker and the latter, i can't exactly remember how the first sounded. That means i cannot make a good judgement on how the two compare.
Old 20th January 2006, 02:18 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Keyser,
perdone me ( and my ugly english) this maybe mean you do not have " the right listening- methodology". This isn't a critique, my God, it is only a friendly consideration.
As I said, time will make the difference.
Hi,
Inertial
Old 20th January 2006, 02:33 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Hi Inertial,
I can handle a bit of critique
What do you think is wrong about the way I listen, then?
Old 20th January 2006, 03:13 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Nothing whatsoever, which is what makes comparisions utterly pointless, and fundamentally dangerous unless you keep firmly in your mind that it's subjective, and just about your own taste. We all hear in completely different ways, listen to different music, and different things within in the music, and like different presentations. Some like a warm ballance (I do), some like utter neutrality to the recording, some a presetation with so much treble energy it would give me a headache. Who is right? No-one. But I don't think we're going to end up with a very productive debate here, so I'm going to leave off there.

All the best to all & enjoy the music (whatever speakers you listen to!)
Scott
Old 20th January 2006, 03:34 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

but surely there are objectively definable parameters you can use to qualify a loudspeaker? I think objective measurements usually correlate with the subjective listening impression.
In High-Fidelity a neutral sonic balance should be the design goal. As you say you prefer a warm sounding speaker, but knowing warmth is your personal taste, you agree that it is not true fidelity to the original.
If commercial speakers use drivers of comparable quality, the possible difference should be in the fit and quality of the crossover, and the quality of the enclosure. I think the DIY fanatic can produce boxes as sturdy as the best professional speaker builders can. The professional have greater access to special materials, like Wilson uses in their speakers. That material is said to be very sturdy and non-resonant.
I am not sure if the professional speaker builder can make better crossovers than a well trained DIY’er can.
Old 20th January 2006, 03:37 PM   #17
reins is offline reins  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I started DIY also with that question,
meanwhile I tried fullrange driver, built horns and dipoles.
Today I would say: that is not the point of DIY and it is not cheaper for sure.

I'm able to build speakers that can hardly be bought. There are only a few serious dipole systems on the market. Same applies for fullrange.

If it is about saveing money, I'm sure the price vs. value ratio of some kits is better than of factory speakers. But assembling speaker kits is a total different story and half the fun.

Stephan
Old 20th January 2006, 03:58 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Hi Kyeser,
IMHO the point is maybe you listen "The sounds of instruments", I LOOK IF (very rare)" the instruments are soundings (with their spaces)" !!
Are they sounding togethar or some tend to mask the others?
Can we always SEE They or sometimes not? How many they are?(!)
Are they sonorous ( sonority) ?
Can we understand all the words that singer is ...singing? Are we sure? ( take a good headphones ...)
Is all this only personal taste? I think not, anyway this is my method
and sure others apply the same/similar.
Hi,
Inertial
Old 20th January 2006, 05:38 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

I don't think I listen to speakers in a wrong way. What makes you think that. I'm not quite following.
However, let's get back on topic.
Old 20th January 2006, 06:26 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

I have no doubt that DIY can beat commercial on any level. Its all a matter of budget, time and patience.

I've been working on a design now for the best part of a year and whilst it certainly isn't the best available, its a contender for at least half the commercial designs currently available in the world.

Hide this!Advertise here!