tl, tl with other drivers or no tl at all? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th January 2006, 07:50 PM   #11
joensd is offline joensd  Germany
diyAudio Member

If want something "good for the money" get yourself the Gradient W160AL8 driver. I built a TL with it and like it very much.
Doesn´t work as a fullranger though as "advertised" by Klang+Ton.
I mated it with a Tangband but would use a Veravox3 or tweeter if I should modify it in the future.
But see here:
Gradient TL
Hifi-Selbstbau projects
Old 20th January 2006, 08:11 AM   #12
beamnet is offline beamnet  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to beamnet
Pfff...

choosing is hard!

Just another q

I van get my hands on a pair of dynaudio 17w75EXT woofers 4 cheap

are they suitable for tl?

I hear great things about these drivers

Bas
Old 20th January 2006, 08:17 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Maybe a good point to resumate what we're at

There are some good driver combo's suggested.

The tl-calculations are no problem. I can design my speaker.

I am, hower, a nono on the xo part.

i REALLY like the 1 cap xo (if you made your own am, paistakingly choosing as little components in the signal path, you DONT want 50 components in your xo!)

I am currently bidding on a viva xt25 tweeter, ad that seems a good one 4 sure. And i like the looks!

Can anybody tell me more how to handele the xo part?

Bas

(i don't mind having to build a few prototypes bfore the actual line length is decided)
Old 20th January 2006, 03:57 PM   #14
Tomac is offline Tomac  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Zaph measured it so check his web www.zaphaudio.com
1st order crossover depends on drivers you choose. It is definitely possible to make a 1st order on XT25, question is will that be best xo for that tweeter? Distortion is pretty high below 1kHz. Hmmm. I cannot swear that a 4.7uF cap will be enough to get best of it.
You should ask someone who worked with it. If i have to judge by numbers I would stay away from XT25 if first order is a must.
Seas 27TDFC seems much better for that purpose. It is even cheaper. Also a noferro version (27TDC) seems nice
Old 20th January 2006, 04:10 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

if i wouls want to look for a first order filtered tl. what should i look for in tweeter and bass speaker. I can do my own research, but i would have to know what to look for.

For that vifa tweeter: currently, the bid is $1. I think that's quite a bit of mass in the equation. Could it be mated with that peerless driver mentioned before (the HDS - 134 / 850488)

I like the peerless, because it is like the one in the flatline i mentioned at the strat of this topic.

This might meand a bit more components in the crossover, but i the component count stays below, say, 5 or so, that's okay with me, but i sometimes see xo's with 10+ in it.

Hide this!Advertise here!