Info about Avalon clone project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not very mutch is currently obvious for me...
Thanks for the input (I'll just take what I get and see what info I'm having at the end.)

Could you give me a reference to a dealer that seels the Thiel elements? I guess you don't know the tiel type for some of the models? Not that important yet, as I have'nt decided for one special model to build.

regards TEK

http://www.thiel-partner.de
I remember I talked to Adrian Bankewitz (the company's boss) about his Avalon-OEM business some tome ago;
as far as I remember he does not produce any special drivers for Avalon, they are using the "normal" series models.
As there are not too many different units, you should be able to determine the correct type just from the Avalon and Thiel specs.
Happy hunting!

Hello

Thank's a lot for the scematic.
What speaker I will build depends on what design/drawings I get my hands on.
The Ascent is absolutly a very good candidate.

But the cabinet shown on the picture is'nt the Ascent, is it? I thought that the Ascent had a "flat" lower part.

A couple of questions;
- Is it possible to get contact information to your friend that build the speakers?
- Do you know if he have drawings for the cabinets?
- Do you have any information about the damping material used?
- Do you know where I might get my hands on the Eton element?

Regards, TEK

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
SPEAKERS

Hi Tek,

If it isn't the Ascent then it is my mistake,I guessed.

It has been a couple of years since I last met him so I think the best way for you would be to visit his website and send him a email from there.
And say hello from me if you like.:)

http://www.gydotron.com/

He's currently building a new version of the speakers,you may ask him if he sells the older pair.

The damping material he usually uses is Pritex (kind of PU foam).

If I can be of any help just send me an e-mail.

Regards,

TEK,

That is a very attractive and challenging project. I too would love to know what info you can gather. The Avalon are no doubt one of the finest loudspeaker (and has extremely high wife acceptance factor :D )

If you decide to build one, I'm glad if you post your progress. Thanks.

Wallace

Tony D. said:
I built the Eton 11.2 project, I bought my drivers from Rolph at www.audiocomponents.nl, and with duty and shipping from the Netherlands included this was still cheaper than buying them in North America.

Rolph is a pleasure to deal with.

Tony D.

Lucky you :)

In the Netherlands and other european countries you will be rerouted to a local dealer and have to pay the full price. It seems that Rolph is making money on the side to sell drivers to the rest of the world.

wchick said:
TEK,

That is a very attractive and challenging project. I too would love to know what info you can gather. The Avalon are no doubt one of the finest loudspeaker (and has extremely high wife acceptance factor :D )

If you decide to build one, I'm glad if you post your progress.

Yes, the sure look lovely :)
They are also quite a hi-end speaker. And they have a resonable size. This is good for my "not to big" living room.

What I'm currenty are doing is gathering information.
So if anyone has anything to contribute with, please do so.

I have contacted the reference that was posted earlier, and it seems he have a lot of good information.

My target will be set to either the Avalon Eidolon or Avalon Opus Cheramique.
I have redefined redefining the project from beeing a clone project to a "look-alike" project, as the inner details is difficult to get. Still not quite sure how much "my contact" know about this yet.

However, the project is big and quite expensive, so I will start of by a training project.

It seems to be a Avalon Monitor box with a M8a-MKIV design and drivers (see http://www.klone-audio.com for info).
It's said that the design was build as a direct competition to the Avalon Eclips speaker.
I think this will be a great project to get some skill and to practise some wood-working.
This project should demand the same skill as the bigger speakers, just in a smaller scale, so it should tell me if I will be able to take upon the Eidolon or Opus Cheramique speaker.

I will document all my work well and make it available on my web-site when and if I get these projects off the ground.

best regards, TEK

No pages, sorry, but two (obvious?) facts: Thiel mid and high inverted domes, Eton woofers.
Nope they never used Theil drivers. The non-ceramic mid & tweeter units were all sourced from MB Quart. A double magnet 1" titaniun tweeter and 2" titanium mid. These were custom designs built by MB that then received extensive in-house modifications at Avalon.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.