Need a filler Mid. Suggestions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am toying with a modified MTM-WWWW where:

M= P13WH
T=XT25
W=SA-071

I "think" I am missing some details with the P13's even though they sound so nice. Also I think 3kHz is too low for the XT25 with high SPL's...

So basically I need a filler Mid that will be smooth as the P13, a little faster, more detailed and relieve the XT25 to work above 5-6kHz. And not cost a fortune! ;)

The 4 SA-071's are in a 3.85cuFT cab while everything else is open baffle. This is by no means the final version of the enclosure but something to hear while I finalize other stuff.

Please do not suggest I change the current driver se-up... already spent enough time and money on them...

Here is a pic of the Prototype. I know one ugly speaker... but it images very nice!

Attachments

• the v.jpg
    the v.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 408
Thanks Cloth... have you heard them (as opposed to "of them") ?

Also assuming you have heard the P13, can you compare the two? I did some googling, didnt get a heck of info except they are not good above 5kHz... which does not bother me as I intend to use them from 2k to 5k,

TIA !

K-amps said:
I did some googling, didnt get a heck of info except they are not good above 5kHz...

Not sure which one you mean is not good above 5.

I haven't heard the MG10, or the other one I thought you might like, the M10MD-39-08 (which would probably be a better match for the P13's).

You were intending to keep the P13's, weren't you? From your picture, it looks like your going to have a:
M
T M
M
W
W
W
W ...correct?

The ones I have heard were the P11's, which are essentially a smaller version of the P13. Both are pleasant to listen to, but I probably wouldn't use either above voice range (max 4-5kHz). The 2 I mentioned above would probably be best choice - but I'd recommend that you get one of each, put one in each speaker and determine which one suits you best. And then talk your dealer into allowing you to swap the other one (it can be done:).

I've gone to the dark side (2" dome midranges) and probably won't be swapping unless I can persuade a friend of mine to make me a pair of his custom ribbons.

K-amps,

I picked these up second-hand (well, new, but 23 years after they were made). The first one's a picture of what they look like and the second is the parameters for the next generation (approximately the same).
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?postid=434727&stamp=1089606754
http://www.caninialtoparlanti.it/images/mid-ITT.jpg

As far as I know there's still heaps left in the shop (still packed up in the original styrofoam containers (sets of 4). They were $40ea when I bought them - but the guy isn't on the net as far as I know.

They are pictured in Martin Colloms books "High Performance Speakers" p.188 of the fourth edition (and in the 5th, somewhere). They're pretty much the same type of design as the ATC domes - but I'd say they weren't quite as good, as they still make the ATCs.

Interesting, the first pic has it as a waveguide, the second as a diffuser flange bezel...

I would like to be able to hear them b4 buying, that rules them out I guess plus I am quite away's from Australia.... by the way, Is Gilchrist being a good boy these days?

K-amps said:
Interesting, the first pic has it as a waveguide, the second as a diffuser flange bezel...

I would like to be able to hear them b4 buying, that rules them out I guess plus I am quite away's from Australia....

You could try Hi-Vi Research DMBA domes, they're the closest match to Dynaudio's D52AF available to DIY'ers. One thing they don't have in common with Dynaudios is the price: they only cost about $25 each. Despite their affordability they are very decent drivers with a high quality built. Flange is thick aluminum cast, not plastic.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.