Bose Driver Re-use?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have some Bose 201's that I was going to re-build. Before anyone jumps on Bose products, please read on:

I also have some Dayton 1" silk dome tweeters. I thought perhaps I could use the woofers from the 201's, the Dayton tweeters, and some better crossover components (have those too) to make a nicer sounding speaker. I would eventually upgrade the woofers with some Vifa 6.5" drivers.

Cash flow, living situation (in-law's while we house hunt after our move from out of state), and time are my limiting factors. Has anyone tried this? I know that Bose uses cheap parts and construction (I already dissected one speaker and found NO solder at all: just pins wrapped with wire). But, this could be a band-aid while I wait for the Vifa's.

Thanks!

Forgive me Forum for I have sinned...

Well, I guess it is forgiveness...

I plan on spending MDF and finishing on them. Everything will be geared (except the low pass portion of the crossover) towards replacing the Bose drivers with the Vifa's at some point...hopefully soon.

Have you done this...it's okay to admit it.

thanks!

Well, the reason to even take apart the 201's in the first place was to (gasp) rebuild them. They had been beaten pretty severly over the 7 years of college. But, I had the tweeters and found some Vifa's I liked (which may be hard to find now, I hear). So, to get me by, I thought I would build the cabs and bide my time.

Perhaps you are aware, or not...of exactly how cheaply the Bose stuff is made. It's half-inch particle board glued together: there is no way to use these boxes in good concience. Yes, I know I was listening to them for years. I have discovered DIY and a finer ear.

Thanks for the support. Have you gotten your pin yet?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Just to confirm:

You are building boxes for the Vifa's and want to temporarily use these new boxes to house the Bose/Dayton drivers until the Vifa's arrive?

You will be scrapping the Bose boxes.

You will be scrapping the Bose drivers once the Vifa's arrive.

If you have answered yes to the above questions, no one here will bother you about that. If you are then panning to do something with the Bose drivers, well my friend, you are on your own. Don't forget to duck.

And yes, sadly, I am familiar with the Bose level of quality.

Cal Weldon said:
Just to confirm:

You are building boxes for the Vifa's and want to temporarily use these new boxes to house the Bose/Dayton drivers until the Vifa's arrive?

You will be scrapping the Bose boxes.

You will be scrapping the Bose drivers once the Vifa's arrive.

If you have answered yes to the above questions, no one here will bother you about that. If you are then panning to do something with the Bose drivers, well my friend, you are on your own. Don't forget to duck.

And yes, sadly, I am familiar with the Bose level of quality.

Yes.
Yes.
Yes.

Somehow they keep selling them. The 901's were cool to hear when I was a kid at a friend's house. His dad had them and they kicked you in the chest. But, my dad's Infinite Slope's (?) sounded so much better with Dark Side of the Moon.

Thanks for the go-ahead!

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Cal is much too nice of a person to outright forbid the use of Blose drivers. However, EVERY Bose driver I have ever come across (901 4" drivers barely excluded) deserved to be pitched straight into the dumpster. At best, I think you'll be disappointed and discouraged putting valuable time into a temporary solution with those drivers.
Even if low on funds, I would scrape and beg for some money to buy some Pyramid or Pyle (or whatever), rather than use old Bose drivers. Can't you find something on sale at David Levy (dlcparts.com), Madisound, or Parts Express? I've seen speakers at thrift stores and yard sales for next to nothing.
Philosophically, I also wouldn't pull apart a working speaker, even Bose, for parts. I'd rather give them away to somebody appreciative.
Please apply one of the follwing sayings to your situation:
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
You can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear.
You can't polish a turd.
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.

I intend to build cabinets to house the Vifas, which are recommended for use in sealed cabs from 0.25-1.00 cuft. But, in the absence of funds to get the Vifas just now, I will use the Dayton silk domes and the Bose woofers to get sound out of the cabs in the short term. I may look for something on the reco'd sites from above. If I can find something better than the Bose 6.5" for less than the Vifas, tehn great! If not, I'll have to put up with it for the short term...the sound and the moderate to heavy ribbing.

To sum up: new cabs designed for Vifa or similar, new tweeters, Bose 6.5" for temporary solution, forward firing not direct/reflecting or omni-directional.

Still think I'm okay?

Thanks for the input!

If there (Vifa) range is from 0.25-1.00 cuft, then I would go for the higher end of the scale...

I did have this crazy idea once about re-inventing the 901 by using three 3/2 D'appolitos' arrays in the same box with one set firing at the listening posion and the other two firing off at 60 degrees (an equalateral triangle in plan) to provde 9 drivers that had high produced from actualy tweeters and not the dome shaped dust caps of multiple wide range drivers. I never built them, but have though about it...

Whilst I would never use such a design in HT, for a music only system, the direct/reflecting concept has some merrit. I just want to hear it with decent drivers...

Mark

Mark Techer said:
I did have this crazy idea once about re-inventing the 901

Folks, I might need some help here, I think we're losing one. If anyone lives close to Mark see if you can help him and get back on the right road. ;)

Actually Mark I think most of us had visions of that at one time or another.

Just couldn't find any of them there one ohm drivers nowhere, no sir.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.