Wool cone - silver flute??? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th January 2006, 01:29 AM   #1
rv1890 is offline rv1890  Armenia
diyAudio Member

Default Wool cone - silver flute???

Im searching on this site and cant seem to find anyone that speaks of the Silver flute wool cone speakers.
My questions are.
1) How are wool cone speakers??....hows the sound and quality compared to paper or carbon fiber??.

2)How are the silver flute speakers? are they a decent purchase??How come I dont find very many projects that use them??.

Thanks guys.
Old 17th January 2006, 02:03 AM   #2
rv1890 is offline rv1890  Armenia
diyAudio Member

Default come on guys

13 viewers and no ideas or comments....come on guys....am i in the right web site???
Old 17th January 2006, 02:58 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

well... I haven't seen any systems using the Silver Flute speakers other than zaphaudio.com
That's the only one that I know of. I am building that one right now and i am still " almost done" but so far with running full range in a small sealed box it sounds half decent... goes pretty low for a 5incher. Can't wait to have the XO done and see what it can really do
AUSSiE
Old 17th January 2006, 02:58 AM   #4
Zaph is offline Zaph  United States
diyAudio Member

The cones are generally pretty good. They are a bit more rigid than the average paper or carbon fiber, and they do have breakup nodes. The surrounds and frames of the Silver Flute woofers are also very good, but the motor assembly is generally low tech. Just a straight flat pole piece without any special geometry. As such, harmonic distortion is only average or slightly higher, and Le is kinda high too. Overall, the woofers are a good value, considering the low cost.

ps. The Silver flute planar tweeters suck however.

Here's one project with the 5.5":

Click the image to open in full size.

http://www.zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker13.html

Old 17th January 2006, 03:22 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I have 20 pieces of the 6.5" 4ohm Silver Flute drivers sitting around, having arrived from Madisound about a month ago. Honestly, I have just looked at the drivers but haven't played any music through them to even comment.

However the build quality is excellent given the rather low price.

I already have the crossover parts; I made my own xover board and these are to be paired with HiVi's K1 dome tweeters. I am sure to try these out in a couple of days in a QWT. I will report when I have done some listening.
Old 17th January 2006, 07:12 PM   #6
robertG is offline robertG  Canada
diyAudio Member

I played a lot with the Silver Flutes, 6.5 in, 4 ohms.

These are very, very good drivers. We could compare the sound of our 2 way prototypes with mucho expensive Micro Utopia (around 6K$) and guess what, the Silver Flutes, properly used are way smoother than the Micro Utopia Be.

When I say, properly used, I mean, forget about simulations and try these in exotic enclosures (TL, very large BR or double BR) and they are absolute gems.

The difference between those and ScanSpeak Revelators is very small, it's like there clones of the Scan Speak...
Old 17th January 2006, 10:34 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

i have the 6.5" in a mtm with a seas 25tafc.and they sound great.beat anything under 1500 retail.very warm sounding.they don't compair to my seas odin,but a fantastic value.
Old 21st January 2007, 02:20 AM   #8
Ang is offline Ang  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm thinking about the silver flute in a TL vs usher paper-carbon drivers 3x the price. Any performance comparisons? How long are your tl's? Thanks.
Old 3rd September 2012, 01:47 AM   #9
weiyan is offline weiyan  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Any news about Silver Flute?

The price go down a lot after the last post and model no. changed.
Old 3rd September 2012, 02:11 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Well I am going to give you a review on the silver flute woofers. I did a 2 way design years ago maybe about 9 years ago? I bought them from madisound at the time. I used a sea's soft dome tweeter. The model of the silver flute is W17rc38-08 the 6.5 inch woofers. I built a floor standing box with it being rear ported and I put a sand trap on the top and bottom of the box very heavy for a little floor standing box. I will tell you this these drivers are very, very good. They are warm sounding and very natural for what I can remeber. My friend came over and heard them and he said theysounded like a $1,500 vennia bach speakers we both heard a few months before. I hooked them up and my wife asked if I could keep them she liked them that much. My mom helped buy most of the stuff I need to build the boxes out of birch ply-wood. I gave them to my dad on christmas eve that year. That was really my first project and I should build my wife a silver flute 2 way as well. Well good luck and you can't go wrong with these drivers. Mr. jeff

P.s. Update. The speakers are now up north and my dad had a friend come over and they went down stairs and my dad told him about it and they watched a movie. My dads friend asked if I was still building speakers. Just a good reminder if you take your time and build them right they will last a life time. Jm

Last edited by cross reference; 3rd September 2012 at 02:17 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!