Wool cone - silver flute???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The back of some YAG-20's I had stated the logo for the yindi website via a sticker directly on the back of them- they are the same company.

And BTW- the Silver Flute YAG-20 does not 'suck', you just have to use it properly. 2.3kHz minimum, and 4th order electrical minimum. Too bad they're pretty much NLA stateside now.

...And mind you, the Stryke, YAG-20, and PT2-A are all the same unit. The PT2-B and PT2-C (current product) are not the same driver.

Later,
Wolf

Hi,

how can we compare silver flute drivers to peerless,vifa seas?

Thanks.

The Silver Flutes are hard to beat when it comes to price. I recently tested out the 6.5" W17RC again, this time with a Vifa XT25. Not too bad.

Regards
Mike

Attachments

• 13L_Fb=55Hz.jpg
    13L_Fb=55Hz.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 537
spirovious, it is a different frequency response scale and measurement condition, so can't compare that way. The silver flute was probably measured in a ported enclosure. If you look at Zaphaudio's website, he posts distortion measurements of the Silver Flute and Scanspeak Revelator woofers. As measurement interpretation is highly subjective, you would have to draw your own conclusions.

spirovious, it is a different frequency response scale and measurement condition, so can't compare that way. The silver flute was probably measured in a ported enclosure. If you look at Zaphaudio's website, he posts distortion measurements of the Silver Flute and Scanspeak Revelator woofers. As measurement interpretation is highly subjective, you would have to draw your own conclusions.

just use SPL trace and paste the .txt files into an excel graph and compare.

I've used the 6.5" silver flute in a vented compact 3-way. The net internal volume was 17.5 Liters, vent tuned to 38 Hz.

First picture on post #195 here. (3-ways in black cabinets)
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/club...nnual-vancouver-island-diyfest-2011-a-20.html

The 6.5" wool cone is very smooth -- up to its breakup at about 900~1100 Hz. The 8" looks to be just as smooth (but I don't have experience with it).

The efficiency of the 6.5" is probably around 86~87 dB.

Fs in low 40's.

The sound of this (6.5") is very clean, detailed.

Very nice for the price. If sensitivity is not a major concern, these are quite good.

Silver Flute W20RC38-08 8" Woofer Wool Cone

Sorry for the necropost - but I am curious about the Silver Flute 8" woofer:

Silver Flute W20RC38-08, 8" Wool Cone

I like the 20.9 gram Mms, the 30.8Hz Fs, and the claimed 91dB efficiency. The frequency response graph is small and looks to be *very* smooth to just under 2kHz.

And the price is very good if it has the goods. I know the Dayton Audio RS225P-8A pretty well, and it is an excellent woofer. It is slightly heavier, and slightly higher Fs, but has better X-Max.

I am thinking a transmission line, paired with a Linaeum tweeter. The big choice is whether to use two woofers per side, to try to limit the floor cancellation, and extend the bass a bit more.

The ideal woofer that I have found (within reason) is the SEAS Curv Cone U22REX/P-SL - it is lighter at 19.8gm, and has slightly lower Fs at 29Hz, and similar efficiency. But it is $150 vs $44 for the Silver Flute and $64 for the Dayton.

I would use a miniDSP 2x4 HD active crossover - because I don't know analog crossovers.

I have a set of the Silver Flute woofers here, and a set of the paper cone woofers from SB Acoustics.

To me, it just comes down to how cheap you are are. The SB Acoustics is a nicer driver, but it's more expensive.

The Silver Flute has huge bang for the buck, but it's still a low-tech paper cone midbass with no shorting ring.

I would never cross an 8" woofer over to a Linaeum tweeter, it will be impossible to get the vertical polars to work, the gap is too huge.

And two is just crazy talk, you would need to use a crossover point of around 350Hz on the tweeter.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
If you want a Linaeum and no floor cancellation, put the Silver Flute a foot or less from the floor.
Cross it to a small mid(just about anything that would make a good mini speaker with the Linaeum will be loafing with no bass duties) next to the tweeter, up where you want the axis.

If you work within their limitations you can have your Linaeum, and your Silver Flute, too.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I have used W17 8ohm in a 2woofer 3way, 2ways and 2.5way is coming. As Dave R stated suited for 17.5L, I'm using 2 ported in 38LQB3. I also have 6 of W17 16 ohm for a future 3woofer sealed 3way. I've used W20 8ohm in 2.5 with dome tweeter crossed at 1800,worked out really nice, good vocals. I have 4 of W14 8 ohm but cant recommend them.

MCM 55-5670 is similar to W20 and MCM 55-5665 is similar to W17, and both have 7.5Xmax and a nicer frame than the SF's. Haven't used them in a design yet but the 8 inch is good for about 40lQB3.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.