Woofer Tester I - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th January 2006, 05:09 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to 69stingray Send a message via MSN to 69stingray Send a message via Yahoo to 69stingray
Default Woofer Tester I

Does anyone know or have experience with using the WOOFER TESTER I with Windows XP? Can I run it from the DOS prompt (using command.com)?????
Old 16th January 2006, 06:29 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

If it is the origonal Woofer Tester, not the new USB version, the answer is a big no. The way the software driver is written it needs direct controll of the printer port, somthing that is not possible with NT/2000/XP.

Woofer Tester was written for straight DOS. The only windows versions that can be used with the Woofer Tester are Win95/98/ME and most likely Windows 3.1.

I still have an ME install for my lab PC on a hard drive that is in a swap bay for when the Woofer Tester is needed. PITA!

Gary
Old 16th January 2006, 08:14 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Try a DOS emulator, here are a couple of examples :

http://bochs.sourceforge.net/

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/

These are both free, and available for many OSes, but I believe you need to compile both of these (you download source code, not binary code, requiring a compiler, like gcc). If you're not comfortable with that, do a google search, there are loads of programs like that around. Since the math is so important in your program, make sure you find one that emulates a slower computer, so the maths don't get messed up, and this prevents all kinds of other problems as well. Then you just run the emulator, and run the proggy from within the emu, and you're golden.

Hide this!Advertise here!