digital crossover w/digital output? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th January 2006, 02:34 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default digital crossover w/digital output?

I had this idea of using an external digital crossover to bi-amp speakers. This way, there would be no need for building crossovers into the speaker, and crossover settings could be readily changed to my own preferences. There are crossovers that have digital input (Behringer DCX2496), but no digital output. I would want to use a separate DAC (for example, Lavry Blue). To do this, I need a crossover that has digital inputs and digital outputs. I thought for sure there must be something like this out there, but alas, I'm posting here, so you can guess that I haven't found it yet. Is it me, or doesn't it seem like this kind of equipment should be out there?
Old 16th January 2006, 04:52 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Have you considered using the compute horsepower in a PC player to generate a FIR filter Xover and drive the digital output from the sound card's SPDIF outputs to a digital receiver like a Panasonic xr-55. Digital room correction is also possible (http://drc-fir.sourceforge.net/). Digital in, digital crossover, digital cabling, digital to the speakers.
Old 16th January 2006, 05:00 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yes, I have, but actually I want to connect the digital output from my SqueezeBox to the crossover, not directly from the computer. Perhaps, I could build a very cheap "black box" with a CPU, Linux, soundcard with digital inputs/outputs, and DSP software to do the job. This is essentially what I was hoping I could find already out there. The other thing is how many soundcards have multiple S/PDIF outputs (for either a 2-way or 3-way xover)?
Old 16th January 2006, 05:08 AM   #4
Hennie is offline Hennie  South Africa
diyAudio Member

The only ones I know of are DEQX and Tannoy TDX2. In both cases the AES / EBU outputs are not standard, but an add-on option.

Both units are rather expensive.
Old 16th January 2006, 05:18 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hennie, thanks! I was looking at the DEQX, and thought it only had analog outputs. I didn't know digital could be added. It's expensive, but I'm not sure it would be so easy to DIY it. That's why I posted it here, though. I figure someone must have done this sort of thing.
Old 16th January 2006, 05:32 AM   #6
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
computers can do it. just buy a computer.
Old 16th January 2006, 05:34 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I have been looking at the DEQX myself, it seems that the most common version has single ended analogue outputs, but XLR analogue and AES / EBU options are listed on their website.

Don't know about availability though, maybe those options are available only on special order. It might be best to check with them.
Old 16th January 2006, 05:35 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Just found this company has the same idea as I do. They list a price for the DEQX ($3750) and with three stereo digital outputs ($495). That's quite expensive, but does exactly what I need.

http://www.salksound.com/ht3a.html
Old 16th January 2006, 05:37 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

If you want to explore the BruteFIR / minimal boot PC root, also have a look at RME sound cards:

http://www.rme-audio.com/english/soundcds.htm
Old 16th January 2006, 05:42 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

So its seems that the Veracity with the digital output option uses the "P" version of the DEQX with output level controlled digitally.

Otherwise you would need a 6 channel tracking volume control.

Hide this!Advertise here!