Dayton speaker choice.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First DIY project.

Well, I was trying to only upgrade my Polk R30s with new drivers and a crossover, but none of the drivers fit my case right and I don't want to mess with trying to modify them, so I have to start from scratch.

My overall goal is the same as what I have now, only way better. I want upgraded two way speakers, but since it's my first time, I want to make it as painless as possible using a premade crossover and two drivers.

My questions are, what to choose. I wanted to go with Dayton speakers because of some of the reviews I've read and price. Even the most expensive drivers are in the price range of what I wanted to do.

My use for the speakers is stereo playback only. I am more interested in sound quality then loudness. At the moment I am buying as many SACDs as I dare and the polks just don't cut anymore. They were fine for regular CDs, but now they just sound like they are having trouble and everything sounds like it isn't comming out. Too much stuff in the background that isn't being defined. I'm using a Onkyo TX-8211 amp and I have a Infinity BU-1 powered sub. It's a 8" 50 watt sub and it's matched well to the speakers I have.

I've talked over with a friend a little who has built speakers and we came up with this

tweeter

This woofer

and this crossover

I've come to the conclution that just using the case for my polks is not a option (since the cutouts don't match the drivers I want to use) and now I gotta figure out the case part of it, but I wanted to know if my drivers and crossover is a good choice? Does it sound like I am on the right path?

Since I can't go in to a show room and listen to dayton speakers... How good are they? I'm sure the drivers I've choosen will kick the crap out of what I have now, but could they be compared to any comercialy sold speakers?

Just for a little background. My HT speakers are Infinity SMs and the best speakers I've ever heard are Paradigms or at least my favorite. So, if that background helps out any, that's really all I can compare too.

Thanks for any advice or tips....

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Well I don't know the drivers, but Dayton seem to have a reasonable reputation. However, before you purchase, I would look at full speaker kits. There are lots around, as a search here will show, and they have the advantage that the crossovers will be tuned for the drivers and boxes, which the Dayton crossovers wouldn't be.

gvr4ever said:
I want upgraded two way speakers, but since it's my first time, I want to make it as painless as possible using a premade crossover and two drivers.
gvr4ever said:
Does it sound like I am on the right path?

Premade crossovers are never the right path. You just cant have a good result with it because every driver combination will need and specific crossover.

Building a simple crossover is quite easy. Just buy the parts, get a sheet of something to assemble it on, and then just join the parts with a soldering iron.

There are many good predesigned systems available on the internet, pick one that pleases you and build it.

This is a good example of an easy-to-build and low cost design:
http://www.rjbaudio.com/Microbe/microbe.html

This might be more my speed. Someone elses work.

Prolly only a few know what the Polk R30s are, They are very modest speakers and I hope no one acually paid the original MSRP. I got them for $110 at Circuit City. but they are a two way floor standing speaker, and even tho I only want a wussy two way speaker, I want a floor standing speaker. They were acually a great buy (not counting DIY speakers) for the money. They sound better then the first set of speakers I ever got and they were Polk Jr. bookshelf speakers. I got them used for $120 each and the original price on them were $250 each.

I would pretty much want to do the same thing as the project above, but a 6" woofer would work cause I'm using a subwoofer. Also from reading other peoples thoughts, the classic woofers would probably be plenty quality for me. I'm pretty much sold on the same tweeter tho cause people seem to love it and the price seems great. I took the tweeter out of the r30 case to messure the hole (when I realized it was a lost cause) and the tweeter looked like a joke compared to the DAYTON DC28FS-8.

I understand what you guys are saying about a custom crossover. I gotta be honest tho, I really don't understand anything about the crossover except for what it does. It is more important then a realized I guess.

How usefull is this book?

LSD cookbook

Does it explain how to figure out a crossover to someone who doesn't understand much about them?

I gotta lot to learn and I love to learn new things and I'm pretty good at figuring things out, but in this case, I'm being way too impatiant about it because I LOVE listening to clean sounding speakers and I'm not happy with my speakers right now. I got more SACD comming in the mail and while they still sound better, I know I'm missing out.

I know how to soder, for the most part because I work on my car(s) and have done a little electrical work. It's been awhile since I've done any type of woodworking, but I at least know how to messure and work a table saw and router. I'm a DIY kind of guy, but I'm ****** at myself for not getting in to this sooner. I guess I was too busy messing with cars and computers. I'm not even sure what got me started, but I'm glad I found a DIY comunity for speakers. This place is awsome.

Whoooops. Sorry guys, I just redflagged this forum. A government agent is now reading my post.

Okay. I'll order and read the cookbook before I ask anymore stupid questions. What really sucks is cash flow is good right now. I just want to order stuff, but I know it would be a wast without acually planning anything.

I think I'm pretty sure on the drivers I want. I have a half a clue (only half a clue) on using online help to figure out port size n stuff like that. I really hope the book helps me out. I'll order it ASAP.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
gvr4ever said:
Okay. I'll order and read the cookbook before I ask anymore stupid questions.

They're never stupid, they're premature.

but I know it would be a wast without acually planning anything.[/B]

I think so too.

I really hope the book helps me out. I'll order it ASAP. [/B]

I think it will help you decide whether or not you just adopted a new passion.
:)
We will not be held responsible for any addiction to this hobby caused by frequenting the forums.

Happy reading.

Well it's a little overwelming right now. I'm sure I will love it if I can learn it cause I love listening to good speakers, but I don't want to pay for higher brand name stuff. From reading around a little, it sounds like they take short cuts and cut cost no matter how much you spend.

As far as deveoping a addiction, I hope I do. Besides, the WAF will be way higher if I can keep cost low. If my first project is a success, then I'm sure others will be aproved, cause even my wife hates it when I look at speakers (prolly more because of the price tag), she at least gets it when they sound good.

I'm acually happy with my HT setup and it kicks the crap out of my stereo stuff, but I hope to at least make way better stereo speakers and maybe upgrade other stuff over the years as they become dated or worn out. I hope I at least get good enough to never have to pay full price for good speakers ever again.

It would be nice to have a hobby that doesn't involve getting oil all over my hands and knuckle bashing, giving the car a little bit of my blood, kind of pain. I havn't worked with wood much, but I think it will be a nice change and hopefully less painful. Even with the pain and frustration, it's all worth it. At least when you get done and have fixed and improved something at the same time. I'm sure making your first set of speakers and having them come out as good or better then expected is a great feeling.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.