Newb spkr/passive radiator rebuild question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Search did not turn up a readily available answer - sorry if I missed it.

Replacing foam surrounds and dust caps on an old set of speakers (2" tweeter, 8" driver, 8" passive radiator) for my son and have a simple question:

Do you glue the foam surround to the PR cone?

Existing speaker surrounds are dry-rotted and difficult to examine conclusively, but :

1. Both driver and PR foam surrounds are glued to top of basket under gasket

2. Inside diameter of driver surrounds show some evidence of glue on top, suggesting they were once glued to bottom of driver cone

3. Inside diameter of PR surrounds don't seem to show any evidence of glue on top or bottom, so it suggests maybe they were under the cone but not glued or attached to it

I'm confused, does not gluing them to the cone serve as the vent and help move air, or not?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sorry to miss this first time round.

FSULongM said:
Do you glue the foam surround to the PR cone?

Yes, the same way as with a driver.

maybe they were under the cone but not glued or attached to it[/B]

They were glued.

I'm confused, does not gluing them to the cone serve as the vent and help move air, or not? [/B]

No they must be glued to prevent stray air from escaping. The cone does the moving of air.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.