Home theater. need some advice - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th January 2006, 07:03 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Home theater. need some advice

hi!!!!

I'm moving from a house to an appartment. For my home-theater I have 2x15" das speakers (125w rms per channel), a yamaha home-theater center speaker (100BPA 2xLM3886 amp), and 2 cheap car speakers as rear speakers. And a RCF 18" as sub (400W amp).

I cant move to an appartment with that power, so i decided to have less power but more fidelity. My idea is a 7.1 home theater (Creative Audigy 2 ZS 7.1 THX blah blah blah). The starting point is the yamaha center speaker. I want to build the front/rear speakers myself, and the power amps too.

Front center channel:
speaker: Yamaha center home-theater speaker 6 ohms (dont remember the model, but the dimensions are the same that NSC-444)
amp: 68W (1xLM3886)

Front left&rigth
speaker: ?(this is what im asking you!)
amp: 2x100w (bpa100 2xLM3886 bridged)

Rear speakers:
speakers: ?
4x68W (LM3886)

sub:
the same. 400W + RCF18". In the future, maybe i will build another.

speakers? box-designs? any guide will help me a lot.

thankssssssssssss
Jorge.

PS: I live in Argentina. Maybe will be a problem to find specific models of speakers... but I can try!
Old 13th January 2006, 08:39 PM   #2
JRace is offline JRace  Canada
diyAudio Member

IMO for homtheater the Center is the most important speaker. If possible ditch the one you have and build your system around a better one.
Old 13th January 2006, 09:16 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yes, you should definitely build five new speakers. The old Yamaha center will not match the new speakers, and it's essential to have at least identical L, C and R speakers. I prefer to use same drivers in all channels so that the sound will be as uniform as possible.

The choice of design will depend on what you want, what drivers can you easily buy, and how much are you willing to pay for them.
Old 13th January 2006, 09:20 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRace
IMO for homtheater the Center is the most important speaker. If possible ditch the one you have and build your system around a better one.

Quote:
Originally posted by Landroval
Yes, you should definitely build five new speakers. The old Yamaha center will not match the new speakers, and it's essential to have at least identical L, C and R speakers. I prefer to use same drivers in all channels so that the sound will be as uniform as possible.

The choice of design will depend on what you want, what drivers can you easily buy, and how much are you willing to pay for them.
thanks for the advice.

Can you post some driver models to find if I can buy them in Argentina? i was thinking something like.... u$s 100 each driver maybe,... or if i can get cheaper ones but with good sound,... better!
Old 14th January 2006, 12:01 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default CSS WR125 with tweeter for all 5 speakers

See the RAWAcoustics.com or CSS sites for some info on these drivers. Incredible.
Old 14th January 2006, 07:26 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

It may sound like a bizzarre concept, but there is such a thing as a volume control.
Use it and you don't need to replace anything.
Old 16th January 2006, 04:43 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Re: CSS WR125 with tweeter for all 5 speakers

Quote:
Originally posted by GringoAudio
See the RAWAcoustics.com or CSS sites for some info on these drivers. Incredible.
OK i will see if i can find in argentina that driver. thanks!!

Quote:
Originally posted by myhrrhleine
It may sound like a bizzarre concept, but there is such a thing as a volume control.
Use it and you don't need to replace anything.
Volume what?? I dont know what you mean with "volume control"

Besides the power, i want to have the same speakers for each channel. today, i have a "mix" of speakers and wanna change that.

Thanks!!!!
Jorge.

Hide this!Advertise here!