'Audaxity' a project featuring the HM100Z0

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Audaxity? Why? Because hopefully its got the cheek to challange much more expensive designs :)

After some interesting conversations and comparison regarding the Audax HM100Z0 4" midrange driver I decided that I've got to try this one.

To cut to the chase, I've had it on good authority that this driver is a potential giant killer among pure midranges. Comparisons have been made to the ATC SM75-150 and SM75-150S dome mids which in my mind are the ultimate pure midrange drivers. The best part about it though is that the Audax can be had for a measely £35 each or around 60Euros compared to £280/£395 for a single ATC depending on standard or super configuration.

The bad news is that these driver have been out of production for over a year now since Audax pulled out of the DIY and driver sale market. So unfortunately that means that these are becoming increasingly rare and will continue to do so.

Where to get the HM100Z0:

For the fellow UK folks I've found one source that still has 'plenty' of these drivers:

http://www.iplacoustics.co.uk/

Like I've said before they're £35 each + postage.

For our Central European friends I've found one supplier that seems to have a rather large inventory of popular Audax units including 4 of the HM100Z0's:

http://www.cadaudio.dk/audaxunits.htm

TS Parameters:

The Thiel Small parameters for the HM100Z0 are as follows:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I'm really not sure if these are for the old version without the phase plug or the newer one with. Could any please clarify and correct please?

Any idea's?

I've found it hard to come by anything in the way of plots such as FR, impedance, waterfall etc. ANY information would be greatfully recieved.
I have dug up a few old threads on here and a couple of webpages all regarding the HM100Z0:

3-way active design with Scanspeak 2905-3000, HM100Z0 & HM210Z0:
http://www.soton.ac.uk/~apm3/diyaudio/Speakers.html

Hifi World KLS-6 design but the page is in french :(
http://membres.lycos.fr/jadai/Kls6.htm

Old discussion threads:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread/t-31440.html
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=66766

A review of a commercial design with the HM100Z0 and HM210Z0:
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_9_4/jupiter-speakers-11-2002.html

It looks as if its possible to use the newer version of the HM100Z0 up to at least 5Khz and down to around 300-500hz. Anyone have any thoughts on a suitable bass and treble, I've got a couple of idea's but I'd like to investigate further before making a fool out of myself :D

Anyone with any experience with this driver - please speak up, I would greatly appreciate it.

No direct experience with these drivers, but my current 2 ways use the larger HM210Z0's and they have a very smooth response up to 3KHz, not bad considering they're 200mm.

The HM100's were all the rage about 7yrs ago when Hifi World mag did a range of speaker designs (I built the KLS9's, 2-ways with HM210Z0 + tweet). Their larger 3-way design (KLS6?) used the HM100Z0 as a mid and used it's extended response to allow them to use the quirky (and EXPENSIVE) Audax piezo tweet , I remember they revisited the design a few months after it was printed in the mag, as they'd crossed the little 4" too low and it was suffering over-exertion in the mid-bass range. (This is all from memory by the way, not bad for a friday after pub lunch an all that!) The new design I believe crossed over at 400Hz to the HP100Z0 and it ran up to about 5 or 6KHz. Just checked the World audio design website and they're not doing speakers anymore, looks like Audax are definitely out of DIY..

Cheers,

Len.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Hmm.

Well, I'll have to think about the bottom end, but for me, for a true budget giant-killer system, the tweeter is obvious, the Morel MDT30/2. I would suggest the 33, but it is priced outside the brief. :)

As for plots, measurements and stuff, I don't know if I have them to hand any more. A lot of my measuring for my speakers was done before computers, so a lot of it was on paper, and that was two house moves ago. Still, I'll have a dig around, and see what I can find.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
I forgot to mention that I'd like to keep this one as cheap as possible but without compromising the sound quality.

What are peoples thoughts on:

Tweeters:
Morel MDT30s or MDT32s

Seas 27TBFC/G or Seas 27TFFC

Vifa XT25TG-30-04 or XT19

Maybe the Excel T25C003 which is a little spendy and probably breaks the rule of keep it cost effective.

I've no idea on the bass though. It seems difficult to really get killer woofers that are reasonably price(less than £100 or preferable £60-70) or easy to get hold of.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
len_scanlan said:
No direct experience with these drivers, but my current 2 ways use the larger HM210Z0's and they have a very smooth response up to 3KHz, not bad considering they're 200mm.

The HM100's were all the rage about 7yrs ago when Hifi World mag did a range of speaker designs (I built the KLS9's, 2-ways with HM210Z0 + tweet). Their larger 3-way design (KLS6?) used the HM100Z0 as a mid and used it's extended response to allow them to use the quirky (and EXPENSIVE) Audax piezo tweet , I remember they revisited the design a few months after it was printed in the mag, as they'd crossed the little 4" too low and it was suffering over-exertion in the mid-bass range. (This is all from memory by the way, not bad for a friday after pub lunch an all that!) The new design I believe crossed over at 400Hz to the HP100Z0 and it ran up to about 5 or 6KHz. Just checked the World audio design website and they're not doing speakers anymore, looks like Audax are definitely out of DIY..

Cheers,

Len.

Thanks for the input Len,

Sadly I started doing DIY home speaker less than 3 years ago but have been building subwoofer for more than twice that. This of course meant that I was pretty much oblivious to Audax at the time and when I did look into them I thought them to be inferior to the stuff from Seas and Scanspeak etc. - typical noob attitude.

I'm hoping to get a taste of something that's cheap but can come close to the DIY ATC designs I'm using now. Its going to be very interesting comparing a £500(estimated) design to one that cost over £3500. And I'm optimistic that it will come close :)

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
inertial said:
Hi ShinOBIWAN, (sorry for my english)
That is the old version ( Fs=250 Hz)
The "new" version have Fs= 175Hz and Xmax= 1,25mm (if I well remember) plus the ogive. This is my actual mid and sure it is a "monster"!! ;)
Cheers,
Inertial

Thanks Inertial,

Its the newer ones with phase plugs that I'm getting.

I expect the Qes, Qtc and Qms are all different too? Does anyone have definite TS specs on the rev.2 HM100Z0?

FWIW, back in '93, I built a set of 2 way MTMs with the HM100Z0 and was amazed at how good they were. I would still be using them had my cats not decided to tear the surrounds. And the b***** about HDA is that when the surround is gone, the driver is toast.

By the time I scraped the cash together to buy new ones, Audax had discontinued them. That was particularly galling because I couldn't find anything vaguely affordable that was nearly as good. I still can't.

The point is, if I were in England and had a source at 35 pounds, I'd be writing a check.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
SY said:
FWIW, back in '93, I built a set of 2 way MTMs with the HM100Z0 and was amazed at how good they were. I would still be using them had my cats not decided to tear the surrounds. And the b***** about HDA is that when the surround is gone, the driver is toast.

By the time I scraped the cash together to buy new ones, Audax had discontinued them. That was particularly galling because I couldn't find anything vaguely affordable that was nearly as good.

The point is, if I were in England and had a source at 35 pounds, I'd be writing a check.

Already done SY, have 2 pairs on the way :)

Can you provide any more details on your MTM? What tweeter? XO details etc.

Thanks,
Ant

Hi Shin,
try the Audax 210 carbon version for a bass unit.
Its works better than the aerogel at low frequencies, but at the expense of slightly lower efficiency.
If you want you could parallel a second unit to give a bit more bass power but now the price is rising and the cabinet is getting a bit big (2 * 210 need about 130litres).
The 130 carbon mid unit (KLS3gold) crossed over to the piezo at 6kHz and sounds nice and smooth up there so the smaller and lighter ZO should easily get that high.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
SY said:
I'll dig back into my old notebook for crossover details, but I paired it with my favorite QPR tweeter, the Audax/JBL DT101. 4th order acoustic LR crossover, 28 liter sealed box, subwoofed below 80 Hz.

Thanks SY,

You've got me wanting to try an MTM now :D

What about 2 x HM100Z0's with the Morel MDT30s and 10" Peerless XLS below 250hz? Using 4th order. Now that does sound nice to me.
I could harness the extra 6dB offered by the pairing of the HM100Z0's to effectively cross them a little lower than usual with similar amounts of distortion.

I'd like to attempt what Al has done with the aperiodic t-line to control/damp the rear wave.

SY, it would also be interesting to see your XO details.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Shin, the 830843 looks like it might be more suitable. I'd be ok going at bit lower with the audax, but only with quite steep slopes, and that probably means active - and that's another can of worms entirely!

SY, I'd get a couple for you and keep them 'till you're next over here, but you might have to steal them back out of an enclosure! I'll check the bank account!

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
pinkmouse said:
Shin, the 830843 looks like it might be more suitable. I'd be ok going at bit lower with the audax, but only with quite steep slopes, and that probably means active - and that's another can of worms entirely!

The specs on that XXLS look better than the XLS for the intended application. Smooth top end with a trade for extension. I'm pretty certain there's a better driver out there somewhere. What about Pro audio stuff but then its likely to be a 15" if you want any real extension... hmmm.

Yep I'd like to keep it passive for this one, I can do active but like you say its another can of worms ;)

SY, I'd get a couple for you and keep them 'till you're next over here, but you might have to steal them back out of an enclosure! I'll check the bank account!

Very sporting of you Al :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.