Front loaded horn sanity check

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Now I realize is about a bass horn but I'm posting here since more "horn guys" appear to frequent this area.

I'm building a dedicated HT room and intend to integrate a full bass horn, ~20-80hz bandwidth, the bulk of it will be located above the room in the vaulted roof space.

This is the design I've come up with in Hornresp;

This is the combined parameters for 2 15'' drivers;
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

calculated response with ~400w input (about what I'll have available)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

horn geometry

Any silly mistakes or errors you can see? I'd rather build this only once :smash:

I'll post some pics of the room and intended location/setup tomorrow.

The start of the horn will be set up similar to a 3 chamber bandpass enclosure (sealed outer chambers, vented center chamber), The rear chamber is split in 2 with each driver in 100L, I had to fiddle with both the rear chamber volume and the front chamber to get the response I wanted.

The whole bandpass section will be modular so I can take it off the horn and modify it as needed.

Attachments

• ht_horn_sch_bp.gif
    ht_horn_sch_bp.gif
    14.4 KB · Views: 227
Using the same parameters but now without a front chamber the upper cutoff is virtually the same (although less steep) but with the benefit of a flater phase responce...

Are there any other benefits of a front chamber than being able to tune the upper cutoff a bit?

I cant help helping thinking of it as another energy storage mechanism that wont improve the sound quality....

Coolin said:
Using the same parameters but now without a front chamber the upper cutoff is virtually the same (although less steep) but with the benefit of a flater phase responce...

Are there any other benefits of a front chamber than being able to tune the upper cutoff a bit?

I cant help helping thinking of it as another energy storage mechanism that wont improve the sound quality....

I didn't notice the phase response, thanks for the heads up, what I'd really like to see is some sort of group delay graph, especially that would show the delay from the length of the horn as well.

I'll do some more modeling.

Coolin said:
bump...

A drawback of posting here instead of the subwoofers section is that it moves out of sight very quick...

So what are you going to do Volenti ?

I'm a good month away from even starting on the horn it's self, I just need to get the overall design finalized so I can allow for it in the rest of the construction.

I will post construction pics when I have something usefull to show

:smash:

Volenti said:

I didn't notice the phase response, thanks for the heads up, what I'd really like to see is some sort of group delay graph, especially that would show the delay from the length of the horn as well.

I'll do some more modeling.

The length of the horn is ignored if i am not mistaken.

group delay = Phase responce but in a different "notation"

There also seems to be something wierd with the way hornresponce swings from -180 degrees to +180 degrees. It should start or end at 0 degrees

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.