Looking for HiFi High SPL Project - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th January 2006, 02:18 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Looking for HiFi High SPL Project

I'm currently building a room 16'x24' with a cathedral ceiling, to be used as a combination music reharsal space and dance studio(half carpet, half hardwood). I want to build something to use as rehearsal monitors but will be also be used for my wifes dance class and occasional house party.

I have been looking at the Audax PR170ZO and Vifa H26TG-35-06, both fairly efficient. I am planning on going with active XOver. I will be hanging the mids and highs to conserve floor space. I have looked at some bass horn plans. I like the efficiency but the low extension seems lacking. Most Pro PA monitors don't have the sound quality I am looking for. I'm not looking for a club system just something to play live levels in the above said space, sort of a balance between audiophile quality and Pro SPL and efficiency. I am not commited to any drivers at this point just asking for suggestion to fit my needs.
Old 12th January 2006, 04:31 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to joe carrow
Building a room... worried about bass extension and efficiency... have you considered an infinite baffle? If you can have create a manifold to an adjoining basement, attic, garage, etc- then you have potential for really big bass without a visible box in the room, and less need for super high power amplifiers to get the lowest lows.

Another good choice might be a pair of lab horn or two, maybe built into a bar/lectern/podium/dj booth thing.

How high does the crossover to subs need to be?
Old 12th January 2006, 05:10 AM   #3
Stocker is offline Stocker  United States
diyAudio Member

I was just about to suggest an infinite baffle setup myself. Users report HUGE output compared to traditional setups, with very much improved musicality and resolution at high volumes, due to lower excursion of the drivers.
Old 12th January 2006, 08:27 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Suggestion Hobby Hifi - Jetstream

Have you considered this one:

Jetstream by 'Hobby Hifi'. Shown on the cover here: http://www.hobbyhifi.de/Archiv/02/06_02/06_02.html

More info (in German) can be found here - you might have to use the 'search' function as they have an annoying 'return to index page' :

http://www.lautsprechershop.de/hifi/.../jetstream.htm

I have not laid years on it, but from the article in the magazine it seems to fit you needs "Playing LOUD in hifi quality"
Old 12th January 2006, 06:45 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default IB Subs?

I have access to a large attic space behind one of my walls. I was thinking of cutting into that space to hide the subs with either a horn or IB setup. Anyone have suggestions on a good IB Sub?

I have been modeling my mids and they seem to need crossed higher than I would like. anyone have any experience with Audax PR170ZO? Any suggestions for a high Efficiency MidBass that can go down to 80-100hz?
Old 12th January 2006, 09:38 PM   #6
thalis is offline thalis  Greece
diyAudio Member

You don’t have to cross so low, as I believe. The upper bass and lower mid is sometimes more pleasant with bigger cones, more ‘full’ and ‘energetic’. You shouldn’t go bellow 300Hz with these 170Z0 for sure, but you can climb up there and even higher with some 12 inch driver, still working within its piston range. Have a look at the Ciare catalogue as well, they built decent and not so expensive drivers. As for real low extension, I have the opinion that a pro 12 or more inch 45 Hz -3dB driver-enclosure scheme will produce substantially better lows from a 8 inch hi-fi 30 Hz -3dB one.

Regards,
Thalis
Old 12th January 2006, 11:26 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I'd be looking at the higher end home theater speakers to get the required spl. If diy I'd look at something like this:

http://www.audioheritage.org/html/pe...ues/system.htm

Personally I'd swap out the 18" vented subs for horns, but that's just me

Rob
Old 13th January 2006, 04:11 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default RE: IB setup

Did some reading over at the "Cult of the IB" sounds interesting. Just so happens there is attic space directly behind where I am hanging the mids. Perhaps I could put the IB's behind the Mids and run stereo bass crossed at 300
Old 14th January 2006, 04:16 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Have you seen these horns yet? One unit mounted so it interfaces with the room right at the corner could easily outdo the multiple drivers required for IB manifolds that would be adequate to fill a large room/studio. In addition, there are variations on the plan to account for low end in the home theater range(you mentioned concerns about low end on horns) as well as different widths for portability(not for your application) and different drivers for cost to performance issues. I believe the sensitivity on any variation of this design would allow the use of a less expensive amp since you don't seem to desire structural damage(as some zealots have reported) to your new room. Unlike an IB setup, this design would keep the backwave from the driver from going out through the attic to other parts of the house or neighborhood. Just some food for thought.

http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/plans...b8bc5c3902887b
Old 14th January 2006, 07:03 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to joe carrow
Default How loud, how low?

The question that really must be answered is, how loud does it need to be, and how low do you need to go?

If this Audax would have been OK, then you were going to max out around 115-120 db at one meter based on efficiency and power handling (ignoring excursion). Is 120 db at one meter a reasonable goal? This is fairly high for home use, and respectable for something like your application.

How low do you really want to go? Most of the bass you feel in your chest (good for dancing, like in a club) is above 40 hz; the impact of a bass drum is concentrated from 80-240 hz. Below 40 hz (lowest string on a bass guitar) is generally noticed for pipe organs, electronic effects, and movie soundtracks.

Once you've chosen SPL and frequency goals, I think we have some interesting things to work with on this system.

Hide this!Advertise here!