new design idea in the quest of SQ - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th January 2006, 12:35 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Lightbulb new design idea in the quest of SQ

Hello guys

In the neverending quest to the perfect sound that everybody knows on theses forum, i learned one thing, that designing a speaker is all about compromises. A sentence you read 5 times a day.

The last times i considered somes particular areas where compromises are to be made :

- Directivity . A lots of speakers design don't even take it into account. However, some of the most renowned authorities, like linkwitz or dr.geddes agree on the fact that a controlled directivity is an important ker to sound reproduction.

- Bandwith and crossovers : Crossover introduces phase anomalies. a lot of people consider that it is a good thing not to cross into a certain range (may it be 300- 3000hz or 100hz-10000hz) so that a single transducer take care of this range where the most audio information is.

my ultimate goal is the perfect compromise between sound quality, dynamics, reproduction in a small room, dynamics, and price naturally,if i can think (painfully) of buying to JX6, building an array of jordan drivers is out of the question

I had the idea of combining the last JORDAN JXr 6HD with a 12" or 15" bass driver, the Jordan being put into a 12" or 15" waveguide.
The waveguide would not be used for the gain it produces or for crossing lower.
It would be used to provide to the design a controlled directivity. The gain it would provide in the drivers response, once equalized back to flat, would produce a significant fall of distortion in to the frequency region in wich the most voices information is (600-6000hz)
The crossover would be around 100-300 hz, in any case trying to let the JX6 reproduce almost all the music content. The compromise is to be made between power handling and crossover frequency / slopes, that may provide a better integration.

i have lots of ideas about the bass driver i could use, but this is not the important point here.

There is a large number of things i don't understand, and probably won't understand shortly about audio and the physics behind. I would just like to know if this idea makes any sense to anyone, or if it is just plain dumb ?
I may have forgotten or not taken certain parameters into consideration so please enlighten me
Old 12th January 2006, 12:39 AM   #2
simon5 is offline simon5  Canada
diyAudio Member

I think this is a great idea.

You could pair it with a Lambda bass driver.
Old 12th January 2006, 07:29 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi again Nemophile,
I suspect you now must be choice from SL and GL.....
The 15" woofer : dipole or box ?
Joke apart, it is an interesting project.
X-over: SDTP a la JK. Why not!
Cheers,
Inertial
Old 12th January 2006, 09:13 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

hello inertial !

yes you suspect good, but i wan't to go further, i can't use open baffle considering the size of my room, and i like fullrange drivers ,and the ability to have one driver reproducing most of the range, so i tried to make the best compromise. It is the existence in itself of a driver such as the jordan that makes it possible. As much as i love fullrangers and enjoy the musical experience with them, they're not so much about "fidelity" as i would want

they are a few approaches i could take about the crossover design, i could chose a 12" that have a very good extension in the midbass, and so make a first order accoustic ,and hear if it's really worth the shot.
But i don't like the idea of a 12" reproducing to 500hz while the little jordan do so, so there is much chance i do some FIR filtering with steep slopes around 250hz on my computer.
by the way,excuse my ignorance, it may be obvious, but what is "SDTP a la JK." ?

hello simon

i effectively heard that theses lambda drivers were mighty fine, i'm gonna take a look at 'em, and thank you, i hope there isn't a flaw in this design i didn't see, i would like some waveguide gurus to come, because it is the critical point, and the one i have the less examples to work on.
Old 12th January 2006, 11:52 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Ooops,
excuse me, Subtractive Delayed Transient Perfect by Dr. John Kreskowsky!
Yes, with FIR you can do "the impossible".
BTW, before the Jordans, that do you think about a cheap-test with one of the little Tang Band?
Cheers,
Old 12th January 2006, 11:59 AM   #6
Puggie is offline Puggie  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I'm currently trying to partner Bandor 50s (very similar to the Jordan) with some Seas 8" drivers, How about looking at the Bandor 150 or 300 drivers as a match, they are built along the same principles as the Jordan (lots of similarities which are obvious when you look at the history), so would IMHO make a good pairing.
Old 12th January 2006, 12:49 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

ok inertial, i understand they are what is also called substractive filters.
anyway i'm certainly gonna go the FIR route as i have my old computer with good multioutput soundcard, that is gonna be converted into a big crossover

hey mr puggie thanks much for your advice, i did look at bandor drivers and they look very good.

however, the 150 mm is pricey, and as i wan't 10" or 12" i imagine the 300 will be like Two times more.

That and i would see that as a kind of "waste" to use the 150mm that is having perfect response to 5khz , as i don't need my bass driver to be so well controlled after 1-2khz

about your system, i read that in another topic, do you plan to go with a passive filter ? active in this case (low crossover frequency) is 10x times easier and better IMO

but i don't think the bass driver selection will be a problem at all, there are plenty of very good bass drivers around, that are able to reproduce very well the range of frequency i want them to.

If i go for fir filters i am certainly gonna use this driver :Hi vi W12 that according to the simulations may have a really crazy power handling, with bass at 45hz -3db in a sealed box, that i may convert to a bass reflex in the same volume (80liters) and then get 35hz -3db.

my "problem" if you can call it like that, is that i have no way to be sure with my limited knowledge that the empirical idea i had about putting this Jordan driver into a waveguide (i could go for a larger, 15 even 18 waveguide if it leads to significant improvements) is not plain dumb

so please if anyone feels like giving it's advice on this one
Old 12th January 2006, 12:59 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
ok inertial, i understand they are what is also called substractive filters.
They are not just the ordinary subtractive crossover. They can't be built in analog sice you need a constant frequency-independant delay. So you would have to implement them digitally as well. Their advantage over FIR is that they don't have pre-ringing and the advantages over analog subtractive crossovers are steeper slopes and no humps in the passband.

Regards

Charles
Old 12th January 2006, 01:08 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

wow this looks freakin interresting, could you please send me a mail with some details on this, as i understood you were quite knowledgeable in this area. thanks !
Old 12th January 2006, 02:18 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

John's info can be found here (he is a member of this forum as well BTW):

http://www.geocities.com/kreskovs/new-xooz1.html

Regards

Charles

Hide this!Advertise here!