Building ur own loudspeakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I´ve got two Marantz model 200 from the ´70s :whazzat:

mmmm.... they really need to be replaced. I like clear, clean and natural sound. The room where it´s installed right now it´s 6x6 but I´m moving to a bigger place.

I really looking for speaker that you just can put anything and get really really great sound.

Thanks !!!

Ezequiel

There goes : )

I Love:

Pink Floyd, Clapton, Beatles, Rolling Stones, Brooklyn Funk Essentials, and much more.

Mostly Rock and Jazz, but I also listen to some classical music once in a while

I Hate:

Reggae, and the other ones I posted in my first message.

Space and size of the loudspeakers are not a problem. The main goal is to achieve natural sound, that means that if I close my eyes I must feel the band in my room.

I want to be able to identify each instrument. I don´t like metallic sound.

There is a money limit. I can´t spend more than $1000.

I Hope I got it righ this time : )

Thanks!

Right Cal, & another thing: what sort of budget are we looking at? If it's mainly dance, pop, reggae; I'm presuming the speakers are going to be on permenant "disco duty". How big is the new room? sonds like a job for:

1) a good old fashioned 3-way (taking care to avoid the 700-8KHz region for x-overs if my personal paranoia is to be humoured)

2) a couple of decent full-range IB's & a Couple of sub's

3) haven't a clue what the Marantz 200's are, but could they be tarted up & used with a decent pair of subs?

Aha! forget my last post then!

What are the Marantz 200's? - just out of interest, & what don't you like about them?

If clarity & a lack of ferocity in the treble region is what you're after, I'd be seriously considering going the full range route; you could do a superb job with the new Lowther offerings in an IB enclosure - very loud too! Should just about fall into your budget.

http://www.lowtherloudspeakers.co.uk/homeindex.html

I forgot to answer your last question, sorry!

They are 3 way speakers, that´s all I know. There is no spec in the loudspeaker itself.

Those "things" called Marantz model 200 do not exist anywhere on the internet. Maybe next week I can take a picture to show you.
In the other hand, you know, I wrote Marantz for the specs of those loudspeakers and I almost get kicked in the head.

They really really don´t know how to treat people. :whazzat:

Well,

There it is.

:)

On second thoughts, the Lowthers might be a little bass shy & bright; certainly wont sound "dead!" - do I take it from your choice of listening media, you're looking for a warm, fluid & energetic sound? If so, the aluminium drivers (full range) could fit the bill; they're not too sensitive - what kind of loudness are you looking for?

The only other question on top of Cal's would concern your £1000 budget; most HiFi pundits will advise you to spread the cost of your system; your reciever cost ~$270 & you can get a lot of professionally built speakers for $1000; you can also get some pretty good peripherals which will sound rather good if you only spend $500 on your speakers! you must have something fairly ambitious in mind?

there are MANY differents paths to good sound, especially for 1000$, and at least, you be the judge :)

As pointed by Jezz the Fezz, there is the full range path, not my style, the highs are to much of a compromise in a full ranger IMHO

There is the "no holds barred" two ways with fancy 200-400$ Scanspeaks or Excel or Accuton drivers. Some people likes to take the best of the crowd, even if it is the best only marginnaly. If you have the money, why not.

There is the "more reasonable" three ways. I think you'd get a better sound this way than with the "no holds barred" two ways, but it is REALLY just my opinion, and don't worth anything, some people prefer the sound of a Two way.

There are lots of alternatives, four ways, open baffles, two ways with big bass driver, big full range + ribbon, etc etc etc, and i couldn't say what is the best

the best thing for you is to go in a hi fi shop, or in a speaker shop that sells kit, so you can listen to many different kind of speakers.Not to disrespect, but you don't seem to have a clue of what you really want, except good sound, but everybody is seeking that around there, so it don't mean anything at all.
You have to make your own opinion of what is good sound, and the opinion of others peoples on that will only help you marginally in your path.

If you can't do that because there are no good places to listen to speakers around you, i would seriously advise you to begin DIY with a cheaper speaker.
A good solution would be a good but cheap two way, This One appears to be a very good compromise between price and performance, but there are many alternatives, some even cheaper.

There are many chances such a speaker will greatly and totally surpasses your speakers, and give you immense satisfaction. Such a design is compromised principally in the bass region, so if you want to enhance your system, you add a sub, or a pair , and you have , if not "the best speaker of the world", a VERY good setup

You're absolutely right of course Nemo, auditioning will be by far the best route to judging what your own preferences are; be wary of the ancilliaries used though - any speaker linked to a high end source with a 400W Class A is bound to sound great - compare with like for like ancilliaries.
The reason I selected the FR as a possible route concerns idarwins earlier comments on his musical tastes. He likes jazz (mainly achoustic medium) and doesn't favour an intrusive or "steely" treble. He doesn't like his current speakers because they sound "dead". This all tells me that he needs a combination of warmth and "informativety". Given what I presume is a budget front end, we need something that will make the most out of the presence region. In my book, where ultimate bass is not the prerequisite, a direct link - or as best you can get - between the speaker & the amp will give the best results; trumpets (yours truly!), sax, piano etc all need the same treatment as vocals, and that means don't mess with the 700Hz - 5KHz bandwidth!:D

jezz you are totally right, and we are all bound to forget our tastes remain only our tastes

i had FR speakers but i love bass heavy music and electronic music as much as i love jazz and african music, and you can't get bass ou of theses puppies

i give many importance to direct link between amplifier and speaker, but i use the other way, bi amplification, what is another proof of the endless possibilities

at all, a two way with FR speaker + Bass driver would certainly be also great. if you go this way consider the BASSZILLA , i want to build one of these a day or another, it is certainly the best way to go to fullrange, and the classic version will cost you right around 1000$

any speaker linked to a high end source with a 400W Class A is bound to sound great

i know i'm picky but i have to disagree with that. A bad speaker will remain a bad speaker. While i agree a bad amp could waste a good speaker, a good amp can't get a bad speaker good. The speakers remain being the less perfect part of the audio chain

With you all the way Nemo, I don't dig bass shy set-up's myself. As for your point:
While i agree a bad amp could waste a good speaker, a good amp can't get a bad speaker good.
I'm making a specific referal in kind to a review of a Musical Fidelity 400W Class A amp that I read some years ago.

Yes, it's true; an Ongaku won't help a nasty little bookshelf with a poor impedance loading, but the item previously mentioned (which incidentally was roughly the size of a fridge and would make your central heating system completely redundant!) had a damping power such that it gripped any of the reviewed speakers in such a manner that they performed completely outside of their normal parameters.

Sadly not, I did a quick search on Google before writing the posting. I would have read it in HIFI CHOICE circa 1991/2. It was flippin huge, mainly because of the PS which used elephantine chokes. Really massive. Illustraits the point though!
My personal prefferences are currently (forgive the pun!) leaning towards this little beasty:
http://www.ejjordan.co.uk/drivers/jxr6.html
possibly line sourced in some manner (not decided yet) in combination with an isobaric sub (bi-amped of course!):angel:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.