full range driver bipole line array idea. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th January 2006, 04:19 PM   #1
fazman is offline fazman  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default full range driver bipole line array idea.

I posted this question in the full range forum so pardon the double post.
Had an idea of doing a bipole line array using a Hi Vi BS3 3" inch full range driver using 5 or 6 in the front and 5 or 6 in the back with the bottom half of the enclosure filled with sand for stability.
I realize there will be some comb filtering issues but are there any other issues to consider that would not make this a formidable project?
They would be crossed over to a sub and I might use an EQ to smoothen things out depends on the final outcome.
Also was wondering if I should cross the rear drivers over down lower to improve the overall baffle step effect.
What do you guys think?
Old 6th January 2006, 12:26 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I also posted a shorter ersion of this reply in the full-range section. Lobing problems will probably occur -I don't know these drivers, do you have a link? Depends on how large they are. 3" or over and it's definate I would say. Smaller, and you might get away with it, but that's a very short line -too short to be worth the effort I suspect, though i speak under possible (probable) corection.

Going bipolar will remove baffle-step problems, but other than that I'm not sure of any benefits in this particular case. Dave, Jim (resident bipole and line-array experts respectively), any thoughts or suggestions? I'd be interested in finding out myself to be honest.

Best
Scott
Old 7th January 2006, 04:36 PM   #3
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

I just came across the linaeum concept (a bipolar supertweeter, related to a ribbon). It is in the price range of a soft dome, not really cheap in a line array, but definitely cheaper than ribbons. The bipolar version is said to be sold by radioshack, but I didn`t find it, just complete speakers. Aurasound have a closed version.

regards,

Oliver

Hide this!Advertise here!