Speaker Kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would love to make a couple of bookshelf speakers to run off my HT system and I have a couple of questions. After doing a little research, I've come across sheilded and non-sheilded speakers. What does this mean and how will affect the way they perform next to my TV and so forth? Next question is does anyone have any suggestions on a set of drivers I could look at to help me in my selcetion process? I did see this kit on PE. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-642

Shielded speaker drivers have an extra magnet attached to the motor, equal in strength to the primary magnet but mounted in opposite polarity. This neutralizes the magnetic field so the driver does not distort/discolor the television picture.

To the best of my knowledge these "bucking" or shielding magnets do not change the performance of the speaker in any audible or measurable way.

As to your second question regarding driver suggestions, it would be helpful if you could provide some more details about your existing system, budget, room size, and overall expectations. I understand this is for home theater, but will you also be listening to music with this system? Etc. etc. The more information you provide the more help we can give!

My HT receiver is rated @ 100W rms per speaker @ 8ohms. I don't think its capable of running @ 4ohms. My room size is roughly 12'x12' with a slanted ceiling. I would be throwing them lots of music TV/Moives and audio from my PS2. Budget is around 100-200$ Not looking for anything way too fancy just a set that will get the job done and sound nicely doing so. Back to the shielded vs non-shielded part. Since the speakers wounldn't actually be sitting right next to the TV (they will be above the TV to the side) does it matter if the spearkers were shielded or not? Anyone have any opinions on the set I posted from PE?

Given your budget and goals the PE kit you referenced would probably be an appropriate choice. There are a lot of other bookshelf kits and designs out there but many are above your price point.

Unshielded bookshelf speakers with small drivers & thus small magnets can be placed relatively close to TV sets, but in a room your size I wouldn't chance it. There is no "downside" to using shielded drivers so it's best to be safe rather than sorry.

I recently built a set of BR-1's for my in-law's vacation place and they're ok. They're fantastic for background music, i.e. when you want to have music in the background that won't interfer with conversation. One complaint that I have about them though is that they're too punchy in the bass. The bass has a fantastic amount of detail but there's just too much of it there. Still a great buy for around $150. For an HT system, I'd look elsewhere though. I built Wayne's Dayton HT's and they're fantastic little speakers, really forward and metalic sounding but they'll sound a bit thin unless you have a sub to compliment them.

Oh and yes, (provided your TV has a CRT) you want shielded speakers. Nothing like turning on the TV in the morning to green glowing orbs on the sides of the set. ;)

Emprov said:
I recently built a set of BR-1's for my in-law's vacation place and they're ok. They're fantastic for background music, i.e. when you want to have music in the background that won't interfer with conversation. One complaint that I have about them though is that they're too punchy in the bass. The bass has a fantastic amount of detail but there's just too much of it there. Still a great buy for around $150. For an HT system, I'd look elsewhere though. I built Wayne's Dayton HT's and they're fantastic little speakers, really forward and metalic sounding but they'll sound a bit thin unless you have a sub to compliment them.

Oh and yes, (provided your TV has a CRT) you want shielded speakers. Nothing like turning on the TV in the morning to green glowing orbs on the sides of the set. ;)
What did the impeadance come out to per speaker when you were done building them? I would need a final load of 8ohms to match up with my receiver.

ma_tt316 said:
What did the impeadance come out to per speaker when you were done building them? I would need a final load of 8ohms to match up with my receiver.

Both sets that I've built are 8ohm. And I ran 4 ohm speakers through 8ohm receivers for years though with no issues and I used to crank them up pretty good. I'm not sure that I'd recommend it, I just haven't had any problems. And BTW, I'm running all speakers with their proper loads these days.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.