WWTMT?? Speaker brand mix for multiple woofers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, I've got a slightly crazy idea (not as crazy as ideas people who sell cables have, however ;~) ). I was going to build a WTMT transmission line system based off older Philips drivers. The woofer was going to be a 8" AD 8065 /W8 by Philips and I was a little concerned about lack of bass - so was considering running 2 8" woofers in parallel - in a WWTMT system - but now where do I find another pair of Philips AD 8065/W8's? Well, maybe what about the idea of using another 8 ohm 8" driver by another brand? Might the differences in FS and Qts actually HELP curb resonances and flatten the response? I know the crossover would be made more complicated . . . .
Also, it's a TL, not a bass-reflex, so cabinet tuning should be less of a problem, right?
Thoughts?
Criticisms?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I remember the old philips drivers. They were fine for their time but for less money than those cost originally you can do better. If the money's tight you can consider using a vented box or even a passive cone with those woofs. Maybe even have a look on ebay.

The biggest concern I see with you design is the TMT part. I think you will want to consider keeping the tweeters together and not place them either side of the mid.

WWTMT -NIX

Ok, I wasn't thinking about the lobing problems - and the fact that this is going to be a vertical speaker arrangement due to space limitations, it makes it even worse - linear TMT lobing means I could just move the speaker on a little angle - with a vertical TMT - I'd be stuck!
Guess it's a WWMT or WMT for me.
I have both the Philips driver already and a old alnico 8" woofer of high quality. That's why I mentioned the WW arrangement using different drivers. Basically I've got room for a 4' tall box that's 10" wide at most. But I want some bass. The cabinet can be about 18" deep.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.