HELP with Box Modeling Software - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st December 2005, 01:33 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to 69stingray Send a message via MSN to 69stingray Send a message via Yahoo to 69stingray
Default HELP with Box Modeling Software

Hello Everyone.

I have a couple questions/requests for someone with a nice box modeling program. I have some inspiration from Darren Kuzma’s Cynosure . Can someone model an enclosure with 6 drivers in it? Two (2) 8” Dayton DC200, two (2) 6.5” Dayton DC160S and two (2) 5.25” Dayton DC130GS? The proposed enclosure is 5.76 ft3 (160.10 L) with two (2) 4” ports at 10” long.

I would be curious to see a plot of the driver SPL, the port SPL and the combined response. Not sure if this is possible.

Is there a way to take thse 6 driver and develop parameter to simulator (1) one equivalent driver (for use in WinISD)? I think I read how to do that in magazine at one time. Some parameters are additive and some parameters you take the average, or something like that.

Thanks for your help!

BTW, I am thinking of using the Dayton 1-1/8” silk tweeter. The baffle configuration would be:

5.25”
Tweeter
5.25”
6.5”
6.5”

Here are the parameters:

8” (DC200):

Vas: 57.76 L
Xmax = 4.5 mm
Qts: 0.38
Fs = 29 Hz

6.5” (DC160S):

Vas: 22.08 L
Xmax = 3.15 mm
Qts: 0.32
Fs = 22 Hz

5.25” (DC130GS):

Vas: 14.15 L
Xmax = 2.5 mm
Qts: 0.4
Fs = 48 Hz
Old 31st December 2005, 01:52 PM   #2
rinox is offline rinox  Italy
diyAudio Member

Really hard to work on the project you want.... simulate interaction between louspeakers, cross over, phases... for me is quite a huge nightmare
Old 31st December 2005, 02:05 PM   #3
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

Not to say it can't be done, but it probably shouldn't be done.
Old 1st January 2006, 03:34 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to 69stingray Send a message via MSN to 69stingray Send a message via Yahoo to 69stingray
I was afraid of that. I thought maybe someone had some fancy software that could do it. To come up with the volume, I used the optimum volume for each driver and added them together....thanks for the help.
Old 1st January 2006, 03:38 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
simulate interaction between louspeakers, cross over, phases
Thanks RINOX. For the purpose of this post, I was just curious to get a graph similar to what you get in WinISD.
Old 1st January 2006, 04:40 PM   #6
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 69stingray
Thanks RINOX. For the purpose of this post, I was just curious to get a graph similar to what you get in WinISD.
I think you didn't understand the answer, because that is what he was talking about. Each driver (if in its own box) would have its own frequency/phase/directivity. The response would then be the vector sum of responses. You want them all to share the same box - then they would interact and the response would change. The reason there is not software to model this is that it should not be done. Drivers with different sizes, parameters and frequency ranges should not share the same volume.

Hide this!Advertise here!