midrange for djing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i have finished my subwoofers, and now i need to build myself a midrange. I am djing electronic music and need some good midrange speakers to handle all the quirks of the music i play. I know my crossover to high wil be at 6000, but i am still unsure about the low crossover. I am thinking somewhere between 100 and 150, but i am not sure. The closer i get to crossing over at 150 the more i would need to correct the frequency response with an EQ or port on my midrange due to a sharp drop in bass around 125, and i also don't really know just where the kick of the bassdrum lies yet, but the real question is... what is a good midrange cabinet for me to use for djing? I want to build one that is 2 way, a crossover from a 10" 12" or 15" subwoofer to a midrange driver or two. If i had 2 midrange drivers id put them in paralel and use a resistor to make them the same ohm rating as the woofer. Does anybody have any suggestions on woofers that work into the midrange and midrange drivers that play loud?

PS i can sorta half figure it out myself, but crossover advice is still greatly apreciated

I run eminence delta 12's with selenium d205ti's in one sealed cab.

Dimensions about 22 high, 14 deep, 15 wide (roughly remembered as they are in storage, I used the recommended volume provided by parts ex.)

xovers: low pass first order, at 3 Khz, due to a peak in the published response. High pass 3rd order at 5Khz, I was concerned with blowin the tweets with a 300 wrms program.

I can use the cabs standalone for gp music, they work well in a 450 seat auditorium or for small dance parties.

When I want more low end, I use an eminence sigma pro 15 in a ported box, and use the 12/tweet cab as the mid and high end, crossed at 500 hz, first order. In fact, I built two systems, the second with the cabinet as shallow as the drivers allowed. It's low end goes away below 100 hz, so it is used only for background music, or as the upper end with the 15's.

Given the flexibility afforded by the standalone operation, and the variation in room responses encountered, and the 11 band eq I have, I don't worry about efficiency matching, crossover phasing, anything like that..

The cost of the 12/tweet cab is roughly 500 bucks including molded handles, cups for tripod, screens for the cones, neutriks, carpet, crossover boards, and oh yah, the speakers.

Here's a pic of both systems in my wondermobile..along with all the electronics....minivans rule..

Oh forgot..when I configured the crossovers for the smaller cabs, I put a 1/4 jack on the bottom of the cab next to the tripod cup, and a 1/4 jack on the back of the cab. It is designed so that when you use the back connector, the cabinet runs on the full program. When I use the bottom jack, the input goes through the 500 hz hi pass capacitor. That way, no switches are involved. The woof cabs have a jack on the top near the cup, and the 1.5 dia pole I use to raise them have a 1/4 to 1/4 plug extension tie wrapped to them. Quick and easy.

Cheers, John

Attachments

• my system.jpg
    my system.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 277
my budget? well... my budget is that i have 4 old 70s full range home stereo speakers that i use for mid and high as it is, and they pretty much buy me the time to wait until summer when i can make lots and lots of money cutting grass, but i really don't want to spend more than 275 dollars for two midrange cabinets. I think ill spend about 75 dollars on wood and materials, say its about 25 dollar s/h... i need speakers that add up to about 175 dollars or less.

www.cheaplights.com/sound is my savior, and they are pretty honest about specs, but i am not sure if the manufacturers are honest... so i am worried about what i read, aren't frequency response and efficiency supposedly "misleading?"

the two drivers im looking at are the 411-WF1590 woofer, which is the 57 dollar 15" driver on this page http://www.cheaplights.com/catalog/01_info.php?sec=411

the other im looking at is the 412-MID-5 on this page http://www.cheaplights.com/catalog/01_info.php?sec=412

PS I could also replace the woofer with the 411-WF1058 at the top of the woofer page and with teh money saved i could build 4 small cabinets with a woofer and one or two midrange drivers in each... tell me what you all think about it.

Hey mouse, This guy is nearly as confusing as me!:eek:

I'm not quite sure of the question but as I understand it you have a sorta system but you want more. Ideally you should figure out exactly how many SPLs you want and go from there.

You have subs ( what subs?) you should crossover at around 120 or lower. The live PA guys regard the sub as a separate mix - routing only spefific instruments to them. e.g. Kick and bass.

the mid /bass cross would be ideally 350Hz (ish) , and the mid/ high 2-5Khz. I know that is a big area but there are loads of vatiables. So - Subs, Bass, mids, tops. That is 4 bands in all.

I dont get your speaker choise. Are you looking at woofers to run your mids? I like the idea of 12s for mids but it depends how much transport you have.

Important Science tip :- Speakers are an inductive load. Putting a resistance in series with the impeadence of the speakers a/ wont work, b/ squews your frequency responce. c/ robs loads of power. Never do it.

What amp are you using, and what load are you trying to achieve. We can figure something out.

my subwoofers are two madison Executioner X 21" speakers, and the amp i use for them is a behringer ep 2500, that goes to 2400 watts when bridged at 4 ohms. it goes to 750 watts at 4 ohms when run stereo (750 x 2 channels) This is the type of amp i liek to use because its strong and i can afford it. The executioner, going by what winISd tels me, has an spl of about 93. I designed some realy loud housings for them, but for now i just have two prted enclosures that have spls as shown at botom. I am gonna turn one of them down a bit to help handle that massive spike i get when i tune it to that frequenc, but other than that its the best i can do with simple ported enclosures (btw my two peaks are 49 and 79, feedback is welcome, jsut keep in mind this is techno not just regular music...) the yellow is what both housings would look like minus the ports. i can figure out high range easy, but what woofers and midrange drivers do i need / would you ssuggest for the rest of the sound spectrum? (btw i can only afford a 3way active crossover and i can only afford 3 amps, so the system is going to be 3 way, but my midrange boxes will have 2 way passive crossovers and two types of driver, i CAn afford that...)

Attachments

• executioner spl.gif
    executioner spl.gif
    17 KB · Views: 185
Sorry for not answering you question yet but.....

I still don't understand about your crossover. Is that 3 bands plus a sub? You still haven't mentioned tops. You could do mids plus tops in the same cab.

I know that your particular type of music is important to you, but you still need to cover the whole range. Hip hop and Rnb go low, and rock not so much, various forms of classical might be well high but they all have components of the whole spectrum.

If you have 1.5KW on the subs you must be looking at at least a 4K rig overall

subs are part of that 3 way system... its sub to mid at 100, and mid to high at 6000. i have my subwoofers built, and i have some old speakers that will temporarily be my highs until i can get some better ones bought. All i want is good advice on midrange drivers. I want to build boxes that cover the spectrum of 100 to 6000 and i want each box to have x amount of woofers and y amount of midrange drivers. what woofers and midrange drivers / how many of each in each box would you suggest to cover this range? Id prefer if they added up to 8 ohms so i could build two and wire them in paralel, so i wouldn't have to lug around one big thing all the time.

that spread is too big for cone drivers. Have a look at WWW.eminence.com. I'd favour 15" for low and 10" for mids if you want something to handle that kind of power. With a passive crossover, a pair of 8 ohm drivers will stil look like 8ohms total to the Amp. However 10" drivers don't do 6kHz.

I still think you need a lower crossover point, like 3.5kHz Where you can find decent compression drivers.

Have a look at http://www.prosoundweb.com to see what the sound reinforement guys favour but bare in mind they but name rather than build speakers.

well actually i was thinking of using the 10 inchers to go from 100 to the crossover and the 5 inch mids to finish it on up to 6000. i just wish i knew more of the parameters and specifics of teh two drivers. Cheaplights.com sells good speakers for cheap, but its not quality taht bugs me. Its figuring out crossovers and efficiencies and all those important things when im done that i need to know from them, so im gonna see if i can email them for the t/s parameters.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.