ATD Zellaton Midbass available soon..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
DJNUBZ said:
At 20K I will never own a pair of those speakers. I bet though that they could be cloned for a fraction of the cost if you used MDF and left out the aluminum faceplate. If you used a more affordable tweeter such as the seas exel I be you could build them for under $2000.

Yeah 20k is ridiculous no matter what. At 2k a clone would be a bargain, and you could also use the aluminum SEAS tweets instead of the Excel to save even more.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
DJNUBZ said:
I'm planing on upgrading to seas for my kick pods. These are a bit to expensive for a car imo. I think for the money you could do much more important things in a car.

Yep I completely agree!

For starters you could spend the money on furry dice or maybe one of those foot shaped air fresheners. What about some stupid blue headlamp bulbs? Or daft neon lights.

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of junk folks degrade perfectly good cars with.

DJNUBZ said:
I'm planing on upgrading to seas for my kick pods. These are a bit to expensive for a car imo. I think for the money you could do much more important things in a car.

TRUsound I didn't know you were on here. Have you ever considered selling a SMPS PS so people could use their amp designs in car?

I'm no longer with TRU tech...you may want to talk to John Yi about that...

good choice on the SEAS..I have 4 different three ways going into my truck that I can change to with in acouple of minutes..one threeway being a SEAS lotus 4 and lotus5 with a LCY 130..damn fine drivers

LaMa said:
Those drivers are already for sale at the german distributor For a lot less than the mentioned 525 US dollar. The tests in the german magazine HobbyHifi don't show exceptional behaviour when compared to other high quality offerings (Scanspeak, Thiel&Partner/Accuton, Seas Excel).

Actually he said "595 US"

Using an on-line currency converter the 378 EU = 450 US.. a 150 US difference per driver! (..makes me wonder what shipping and ins. would cost?)

Midwoofer? I don't understand the fuzz around this thing. What's special? At least response has a notch right above 1Khz, impedance curve shows its a breakup..

So where do you need a 7" midwoofer running up to 1Khz? Basket isn't as open as many modern drivers and if even price if astronomical...

Jussi

Jussi said:
Midwoofer? I don't understand the fuzz around this thing. What's special? At least response has a notch right above 1Khz, impedance curve shows its a breakup..

So where do you need a 7" midwoofer running up to 1Khz? Basket isn't as open as many modern drivers and if even price if astronomical...

Jussi

I think the "proof" is in the listening.. our in-ability to measure all thats audible is likely substantial. Of course the "tighter" engineers would argue that what sounds better is just distortion, but they seem to keep coming up with new tests that re-define what they previously considered was possible.

Scott,

Sure. But naturally it's about much more than just response or distorsion. Drivers and speakers overall can be analyzed pretty accurately with present methods if all of them are used. I don't know any DIY builder or that many commercial manufacturers that have the gear or see the trouble but it's possible.

And while something trips to simple basic measurements are there any good reason not to assume the sound is like that because driver isn't that perfect?

At least there is nothing wrong about that. Human ear isn't that accurate to technical perfection and subjective listening impression is what counts. Personally I just like to know why something sounds that and that.

For example this 15W Scan Speak which we discussed earlier has pretty significant amount of THD in its reproduction. And what I heard SS team isn't even measuring THD in their development, they are making instruments, not neutral as possible. Still these drivers are very liked and praised items. Personally I'd invest 60 euro Vifa and have pretty much same performance without handmade and SS status tag on it.

Jussi

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.