Quest brand Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hey guys.. my wife just bought me some el cheapo Quest tower speakers on boxing day- model QX601NX. They are a 2 way (2.5 way?) dual 6.5 inch and 1inch tweeter. they're ported.
$130 smackers CAD - like I said, el cheapo. She said they might hold me over until I finish the Veritas. They don't sound TOO bad, a little bright for my tastes and very little bass. I already had to bring back one tower for a replacement as the lower woofer started to sound "scratchy" I don't know if any of you have ever had any experience with this brand but, I would like to know if I could adjust the crossover so it wouldn't be so bright and give the lower end a little more oomph ;) the whole enclosure is one air space - both woofers share the volume and the tweeter has a very small magnet. The crossover has two air core coils and a steel lam one and three small value caps (I think) with one bypass cap (possibly)
By the way.... If the batteries for my camera would have been charged when I disected it, I would have pics.
Anyway, I just wanted some advice to know what I need to change things around a little.
thanks in advance
Aussie

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Aussie,

Not to be a downer here but I would guess the cabinet is rather thin particle board or MDF. The crossover uses iron core and electrolytics and the drivers are stamped or composite baskets. That's a combination that hard to overcome. If the highs are a little bright, try and determine where in the spectrum it's bright and add a parallel notch filter or maybe a shelving unit or just a plain old resistor for that matter. I wouldn't worry too much about affecting the XO point as these speakers are likely to have bigger problems than just an occasional drop out here and there. As for the bass, it might be OK once you have filtered the top end a bit. If not then just use your tone controls or EQ it and be happy with what you can do.

I really wouldn't spend too much time or money on them, there are just too many obstacles to overcome. You can't make a Mercedes out of a Hyundai.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news.

Cal

I was working on the D27 Veritas by Dave Tenney a sort of modified Veritas from speakerbuilder.com So far I have one brace finished and no parts:cannotbe: I have been pulled in so many diferent ways since deciding on some mains for my HT. I have been working on my mums bookshelf spks from Zaph and they are nearly complete. Lots of fun!
I have also been looking at the chip amps because they look so simple to build... but alas, more time needed for all.
AUSSiE

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
aussie78 said:
thanks for the reply. the cabs are made of half inch mdf and not braced at all - lotsof movement from the walls when knocked on. Stamped baskets and ......

You might be quite surprised at what some ductseal on the baskets, some added bracing (in these situations some hardwood strips are easiest), and better wire can do...

$130 CAD is dirt cheap so you can expect all possible corners have been cut. I'm surprised ther are so many parts in the XO.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.