Celestion SL6000

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The System 6000 is a very good woofer system. They were orginally designed for the Celestion SL600 which is a monopole so there is no reason they wouldn't work well with your B&Ws. I had a set that I used with Martin Logan CLS and that was a match made in heaven.

The only real problem is that while they go deep, they don't go deep extremely loud. It wasn't that difficult to bottom them. Thta said, they sound magic.

That price is very good too. I sold mine for $US 800, and kind of wish I'd kept them.

Steve

Agree they would work well with a monopole. Since room modes generally start to be a problem under 200hz, this is where dipole is most beneficial. Also, since a dipole woofer maintains moderate directivity it's power response usually matches better through the crossover than a mono sub. Most manufacturers usually try to implement dipole the other way 'round (dipole treble mid, mono bass) due to the cost, but IMO this is much harder to do well, and doesn't capitalize on the main advantage of dipole radiation with respect to excitaion of room modes.
Monopole treble/mid and dipole bass, such as is done by Gradient with the revolution model, capitalizes on the main advantages, while making for easier room placement(no beaming treble on back wall). I beleive Gradient crosses to dipole at 400hz.
regards,
Jason

Thanks for the inputs on the SL6000!

I think the price is fair, but I`m still not sure what to do.
I have also tought about building a pair of Proac clones...

The WAF is quite low on the SL6000 :-(
And I have read that the active filter should be upgraded/reconstructed since it`s easy to bottom them like sfdoddsy said.

Hmm, life is hard ;-)
Too bad I don`t have a pile of money to spend...

Well, then it`s setteled.
I`m not buying the SL6000`s, I have sold my B&W Matrix 805 and bought a pair of B&W Matrix 801S3!
I came over a pair to a really decent price, about 1185$, and I sold my 805`s for 640$ ;-)

No need for sub`s then I hope...

Again thanks for the input on the SL6000, there`s not much info about them on the net.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.