dayton 10" classic woofers for PA...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!

I am working on a system for PA usage for a live setup me and my friends will (hopefully) be using for techno...

I'd like to build a TMM with a waveguide/horn tweeter and 2 12" or 10" woofers...

This will be tuned to about 100-150hz with a hugo mofo'n subwoofer for 100-50hz...

Do you think the dayton classic woofers will work ok for PA ussage? The seem cheap and have ok xmax and should be able to go pretty ******* loud if xo'd at 100hz 8th order active...which is what i plan to do...

I don't exactly need tonal perfection, but +-5-6db would be okay, and i don't need it to really extend to 15hz or higher...

For the tweeter i was thinking of using the spiffy newish dayton round waveguids of the 10" variety and a selenium compression driver...

Does all this look okay so far? I don't exactly have a lot of money to spend on this sysem... so budget is important...

I'd go with the much more efficient (98 dB vs. 92dB?), higher power handling, designed specifically for what you are doing Selenium Pro sound drivers like the 10PW3. Parts Express has these and they won't cost much more than the Dayton drivers you are looking at.

The Dayton 10" classic doesn't come close to the SPL performance needed. It doesn't have enough powerhandling or sensitivity to give the desired SPL.
Powerhandling ranging from 250 - 500 Wrms and sensitivity from 95 - 100 dB/W/m is ussual. A 10" can be crossed up to about 2500 Hz.

For stronger kickbass a 12" can be used, so it can also be crossed lower making your woofer more dedicated, whixh is often a good thing. The common upper crossover is about 1600 -2000 Hz, leaving a bit more work for the tweeter, which is often a bad thing.

I don't know that Hugo woofer but is it low sensitivity as well?

and i don't need it to really extend to 15hz or higher...

Typo? :xeye:

Wkr Johan

Rademakers said:
The Dayton 10" classic doesn't come close to the SPL performance needed. It doesn't have enough powerhandling or sensitivity to give the desired SPL.
Powerhandling ranging from 250 - 500 Wrms and sensitivity from 95 - 100 dB/W/m is ussual. A 10" can be crossed up to about 2500 Hz.

For stronger kickbass a 12" can be used, so it can also be crossed lower making your woofer more dedicated, whixh is often a good thing. The common upper crossover is about 1600 -2000 Hz, leaving a bit more work for the tweeter, which is often a bad thing.

I don't know that Hugo woofer but is it low sensitivity as well?

Typo? :xeye:

Yeah, that was a total typ...i meant 15khz...it just doesn't seem like many people in the crowd will even hear 10khz, so, yeah...

Would you like to suggest a good cheap woofer, tweeter, and lense combo for me? i'm hoping to get these go pretty loud by crossing them over at about 100hz and building a couple smallish horns that will house 15" woofers to augment 100hz and lower.

Thanks for your help!

you have to keep in mind that Power handling for this driver does certainly take account of xmax and heat generated by bass reproduction, wich the drivers wont reproduce as they would be crossed over at 100hz 8 order . The power handling should be more in the 200-300 Wrms region when crossed this high

Now you should be able to get 115Db with two at 250 watts / 1 meter

if you have to keep prices straight around 40$/speaker that might well be the right solution. maybe the EMINENCE ALPHA-10A sold bt parts express.
If you can go around 80$/ speaker there are better solutions out there

nerd of nerds said:
Ok. so, i'm not gonna use the daytons...

How about the pyle 10" pro drivers that are 30 bucks each

There were some folks here trying to take your question seriously and give you good advise.

With Pyle you will need to spend money on black paint that will stick to plastic to make 'em resemble real speaker drivers so peers will take you seriously (unless they find out). After that extra trouble and expense you could have bought, but still won't have real professional PA speakers.

I feel like I was just insulted, so I'm outa here.

Perhaps you didn't actually insult me, it is just that I felt insulted. Here's why. You asked a fair question to which in response you got the recommendation to investigate two respected industry loudspeaker manufacturers, Selenium and Eminence who both offer cost effective, quality products for the sound reinforcement and amplified musical instrument industry and then you seemingly ignore this advice and come back with the Gomer word.

Pyle may be reognized for making a flashy colored (part of the hype to suck in brainwashed teenagers) product that can annoy people from a distance from an automobile, For that reason it doesn't get any respect from me as anything more than a source of such annoyance.

hey keep it smooth guys :)

selenium and eminence are both brands that makes pretty high stuff, and also an entry level line that got many recommandations.
Choose between the two you won't be disappointed, provided you use them right (= no bass, because xmax is VERY small)
or go for the dayton with knowing you will need bigger amps and you have the risk not to be able to obtain desired spl.

Personally I don't think there is much gain to be made when constructing low budget PA tops.
Some brands like Behringer, DAP (K112 serie) and JB (vibe series) offer tops of good quality for the money you pay for it. Some if not all tops costing less than the totall of components sold seperatly.

These cabinets often offer relative high sensitivity (around 96 dB/W/m) and practical powerhandling between 300 and 600 Wrms. By adjusting the filters some improvements can be made.

From 300$ and up diy tops become interesting again (imo) unless you are making them hornloaded (which can be rather difficult (even after years of experience).

Wkr Johan

The Dayton Classics Work for PA..

I realize this is an old thread. I'm just adding for the SEARCH database.

This weekend I DJ'd a wedding and reception. About 6.5 hours. I have two sets of speakers that I used.

One set on poles are the 10" Classics in a 2-way setup w/ a 4x10 horn. The floor towers are TMM configuration. Two 12" Classics per box, and each uses a Dayton silk tweeter. Each box got about 150-180 watts each. I had a 50hz highpass cap on the floor towers. The receiver has a subsonic filter as well.

These speakers were PLENTY loud with headroom to spare. It was for a group of about 120 people, at least. I got alot of compliments on the sound and how it was distortion free at high volumes. Nice thing is that the Classics sounds just as good with dinner music as they did with dance music.

So for me, the Dayton drivers were great with PA use. At least for a 100-130 people group. Considering I bought the drivers while on sale, I'm very pleased with the results. Since they are relatively cheap, replacing them when they fail wouldn't break the bank.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.