Confessions of a Former Driver Designer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just becuase he didn't do anything "groundbreaking" does make him a hack. For a kid just out of "bootcamp", who probably knew squat the day he showed up, he probably felt pretty good about himself finally being able to make something work.

Tens years from now, he will probably look back and say: "Wow, I can't believe I make such dreck at one time."

And if his first boss was anything like mine.............

Jocko

Disabled Account
Joined 2001
KelticWizard:

In the context above, this(your)definition of hack would be seemingly valid:

hack:adj.: working for hire especially with mediocre professional standards

Ok, since this is so close to edge of an insult, but technically not??? To error on side of safety I should probably not allow it. But this is not the FuzzyBunny web forum, I'll allow it in this context now. :confused: Of course, I can't speak for the other moderator(s). :)

INsult or not, I simply don't see any reason to 'assume' the person did a substard, average, good, great or otherwise at his job. I believe your assumption that he is mediocre is premature. My advice is simply take the article as it is: a 'supposed' account of economical constraints on design for OEM automotive loudspeakers.

-Chris

The writer of the article tells EXACTLY what OEM design is about: Building the best product for the best price.
OEM customers buy per kilo.
Yes, you calculate how much paper, copper, iron etc. is needed for a certain perforance. The quantity of raw material determines the price.
Your customer (the OEM) allows you to have a certain margin.
Basically, put the speaker in a shredder, weight the materials and you know what is costs.

When you make millions of speakers, a cost down of EUR 0.05 counts.

OEM design is a BIG challenge, especially for automotive.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.