Proven DIY Line Array Design? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st December 2005, 08:03 PM   #1
Ren is offline Ren  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Proven DIY Line Array Design?

Hi, Guys.

I've searched the forums and read dozens of threads. I've also searched the web and found many more references on line arrays. However, I have *not* found any "standard" line array designs yet. You know, designs that have been built up, refined and commented on by 3 or 5 or 20 DIYers.

I think I can build a line array, but I want to invest my time and $$ in a proven design that has a reasonable chance of keeping me happy listening to music. At least for awhile.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Ren

Old 21st December 2005, 08:21 PM   #2
Dumbass is offline Dumbass  British Antarctic Territory
diyAudio Member

The original Linus Array might be a way to go. Unfortunately, the plans and whitepaper are no longer hosted anywhere online (that I am aware of), and I'm not sure if the original drivers are available. You may want to e-mail selahaudio to see if he'd be willing to send a copy of the plans.
Old 21st December 2005, 09:08 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yes, I've been wondering about that, on and off. Jim, you around? Where did the Linus array vanish off to? I remember counting up to 3(?) versions before they seemed to dwindle out on the site[s]. I note that Selahaudio still has V2 and V3 mentioned in their gallery, with pictures (of course) but apparantly nowhere else.

Best
Scott
Old 21st December 2005, 09:12 PM   #4
DaveM is offline DaveM  United States
diyAudio Member

Zalytron still has a few up on their site. I own a pair of arrays that I bought parts for from them that uses 12 Axon 6.5" per side and a Raven 2 tweeter. I would suggest them to anyone who is crazy enough to build them. They are fantastic

DaveM
Old 21st December 2005, 10:30 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Line arrays will never get to the "proven design" state. There's just to much WAF factor to manage "popular" acceptance.

I think that if a fellow has a spot for seven foot speakers, then he should build something for that space!
Old 22nd December 2005, 12:13 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I wouldn't recommend the original Linus design which used MCM aluminum cone drivers. However, I can recommend that you consider the Linus 2 line array uses Silver Flute YAG20-1 tweeters and Vifa TC14WG woofers. The tweeters are fed in a 2/2/2/2 arrangement per side while the woofers are fed in a tapered 3/2/2/3 configuration. These drivers are available through Madiosound. The drivers and crossover parts would run about $1100 to $1200 or so at listed prices.

If you are serious about this design, please e-mail me. I can supply plans to those interested.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 22nd December 2005, 01:03 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Griffin
The drivers and crossover parts would run about $1100 to $1200 or so at listed prices.
The pair or each?
Old 22nd December 2005, 01:47 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Per pair.
Old 22nd December 2005, 02:03 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Griffin
Per pair.
Groovy. That's what I thought but just checking.

BTW do you have any opinion of Verhagen's DIY ribbon book or AudioXpress article? I'm ordering the book, even though I've read in multiple places how there are flaws and supposedly DIYing ribbons is harder than he says.

Also, you happen to know anyone in SoCal area running NFLAs that might be willing to audition his system?
Old 22nd December 2005, 07:08 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Since the talk is about line arrays I thought I would highjack this thread and ask some questions to Jim regarding Linus and Needles arrays.

I'm thinking of building a full 7.1 system using identical line arrays across all speakers. This will be used in a dedicated home theatre room 15feet wide and 23feet long. The room will have 2 rows of seating. Now to the question.

I understand that using a full line of tweeters will help when moving around in a room and getting good sound either sitting or standing. But is this necessary in a dedicated HT where you will be seated all the time? Would needles type line arrays be good in this situation? Are there any other benefits of going with a full line of tweeter for my situation?

Thanks for you help.

Hide this!Advertise here!