loudspeaker measuring/design software - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd October 2002, 08:52 AM   #1
Jean is offline Jean  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Jean
Default loudspeaker measuring/design software

Hello,

I have been thinking about buying speaker measuring software so I can improve my diy speakers. I tried Speaker Workshop and I really don't like its interface. Any LSPCad or SoundEasy users here ?

Looking for a well documented package that will work with w2k pro machine, I have M-Audio audiophile 24/96 card that I would like to use. I also would like some input on good MICs for this job.

I am not looking at the BEST software out there, just something not expensive to get the job done. I just want to be able to measure the drivers in my cabinets, run a couple simulations, and design a xo.

I am pretty happy with the current xo, but knowing that it could probably sound better is bugging me So I must attempt to improve it.
Old 26th October 2002, 09:28 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

i am interested in it too. appreciate it if anyone can give some pointers..
Old 26th October 2002, 10:16 AM   #3
ergo is offline ergo  Estonia
diyAudio Member

I'm the user of LSP Cad Std and for the price I would say it's an exellent value. I use JustMLS for measuring and it also gives very good result indeed.

Here's a picture of two craphs, gray is measured response after completing the crossover and black is simulated (drivers + cross)response of LSPCad using previosly measured data of drivers imported to LSPCad.
Attached Images
File Type: gif measured and simulated comparison.gif (40.7 KB, 934 views)
Old 29th October 2002, 03:15 PM   #4
Vg is offline Vg  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Vg
ergo, what mic are you using, and how much does it cost? This seems interesting...

Also, where do you measure your drivers to get correct results?

Viktor.
Old 29th October 2002, 04:28 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to stefan
Hi, guis!
Did you try this:
http://www.speakerworkshop.com/?

It's a little bit complicated to set-up for the first time, but after is wonderfull!
Old 29th October 2002, 10:59 PM   #6
f4ier is offline f4ier  Australia
diyAudio Member

If I wanted to buy speaker software now, it would have to be SoundEasy. The new features are just too cool to pass up.

But I would wait for LspCAD 6 to be released before I decide. And there's no way of telling what cool new features SoundEasy will have by the time LspCAD 6 is released... then there's winLEAP
Old 29th October 2002, 11:25 PM   #7
Rarkov is offline Rarkov  England
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rarkov Send a message via Skype™ to Rarkov
I have been waiting out to afford a Pro version of LSPCad cause it has the crossover emulator...Then I approched Mark Zacherman(?) who wrote speaker workshop. He is looking into adding this feature. I've just been to SE's website....and it says they have it too!

SE costs about 140 and is certainly on my shopping list this month...unless anyone has anything negative to say about it?

Thanks
Gaz
Old 30th October 2002, 08:27 AM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Rarkov
SE costs about 140 and is certainly on my shopping list this month...unless anyone has anything negative to say about it?
It doesn't run well on my Mac?

Seriously there is a growing amount of software for doing speaker testing, modeling, emulation, etc. I just wish more of it ran on the Mac. But it will come. For now i'll just have to live with Mac-the-Scope & MacSpeakers & MacSpeakerz (and a copy of Virtual PC)

dave
Old 30th October 2002, 08:33 AM   #9
ergo is offline ergo  Estonia
diyAudio Member

Viktor,

I'm using EMM-8 calibrated mic from
http://www.ibf-akustik.de/

It's affordable and comes with calibration file that is easily useable in JustMLS.

The cal file shows a stady rise from 0dB@1.5k to +1.5dB @ 20k so the mis would be useable even without cal info.

I'm mostly doing the measurements 70-80cm from front plate on tweeter axis...

Ergo
Old 30th October 2002, 05:07 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I just went through this exercise and decided on Soundeasy. In fact my order should arrive within the hour via UPS. I have been playing with Speaker Workshop as well but SE seems much more comprehensive.

That fact that I am building a WMTMW system and it is directly handled in SE is a real plus. SW is great but there are too many limitations that SE just doesn't have.

I already built a Walin Jig and a mic preamp for my calibrated mic, (which I bought with LAUD some years ago), so I can hit the ground running.

SE has everything from complete system simulation, box design, crossover design, radiation patterns, up through room placement optimization in non-rectangular rooms.

I'm really excited about getting started today and since I am currently unemployed, I'll have plenty of time on my hands to use it!

Phil

Hide this!Advertise here!