Need to make a lowpass/Highcut filter for a speaker.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I have an electric piano that I am hooking up to 2 loud speakers, the internal amplifier is rated at about 2W/channel.

The problem is, the amplifier is a little noisy, the speakers (4ohm 3" full range) give out a hiss/static/background/high-pitch noise, and I'd like to create a lowpass filter with a cut off at about 4200hz(Pianos: 27-4200hz).

I'm considering making a first-order RC circuit, or a butterworth pi circuit, nothing much more complicated, unless you'd insist.

I'm not able to find any good references online to create such a thing for loudspeaker applications, any experienced diyers out there who could point me in the right direction please?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

BV ;o)

Hi,

the simplest solution is using much bassier speakers.

Your not going to get much with 2W and 3" drivers,
adding a filter will give you even less output.

If you can replace the drivers with cheapish 4" or 5" car speakers.
If the car speakers have a coaxial mounted tweeter remove it.

If you still want a filter you need a series inductor - which can
have a resistor in parrallel if you don't want to roll-off all treble.

:) /sreten.

Thanks.

Hey Sreten,

Thanks,
I'll throw in an inductor and see how the small speakers sound, if that doesn't do it I'll get some cheap 6x9"s, they should have the range I'm looking for.

I'll try a 0.15 mH inductor, should work for a lowpass with cutoff of 4200hz. If that doesn't sound right please let me know.

Thanks again.

BV.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.