Vifa P21WO-39-08

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
P21WO is nice !!!!

Until I built my line arrays, my favourite speaker was a P21WO-39 + Seas 27TFFC in a weird dual tapered quaterwave pipe.
1st order series x-o of course.

The main hints with the P21 are.... let it breath (use a largish port)...... and don't throttle it with too many x-o components.

http://users.tpg.com.au/users/gradds/curved/windswept.JPG

Sorry, I don't have the measurements available for the pipe any more. They were on my old 'puter and have disappeared :-(
I remember that there are 2 tapered pipes inside with lengths just over 6' and just under 6'.

I found this x-o diagram, but it may not be exactly what I ended up with. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• p21wo+ seas x-o.jpg
    p21wo+ seas x-o.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 470
P21WO-39-08 or P21 WO-20-08

Hi ,

i have used the the P21 WO-39-08 woofer in 2 way systems with a variable active X-Over . Cone breakup is at around 1.8K very little useful sound above that . Apart from that if you have a good tweeter down to 1.5K you could use it in a 2 way system .
All the tests were done with a 4th order active filter.

If you can get your hands on P21WO-20-08 I would recommend U use this one. I have a similar setup in my two way system.

2 X P21WO-20-08 Xover 4th order active $55 USD each
1 X D27TG- 45-06 silk domes. 4th order active $30 USD each

X-Over point is @ 2200hz

Quality at a bargain price!!!!!

hi,

funtronics, there are major differences between the 39 and the 20 version, they aren't quite compatible and the extension is better for the 39 version!

I'm also thinking of using an active xover, main reason being tweeter attenuation which can be quite big!
What disadvantages have you noticed at the active xover?

Hi Alex,

I had both the P21WO-20 and the P21WO-39 setup playing together. One as the left the other as the right speaker. Both were in identical cabinets of 49Lt tuned at port 32Hz. The 39 did have a better extension and seamed tighter in the mid bass areas. My thoughts on this woofer were initially good until I decided to work with a passive filter design for it. You really need to roll the woofer off hard at no more than 1.5K otherwise you notice the harsh midrange and distortion. Thats why you need a good tweeter to compliment it in a 2 way setup. Best results I found with the 39 was pairing it up with an aluminium dome tweeter or one that is forgiving at low freq. The ideal tested passive xover was between 1.5-1.7K 2nd order !!!!. The 20 however will work fine at a roll off 6db at 2K and still perform great. I loved the sound so much I sold my 39's and purchased more 20's. If you can squeze a midrange in with the 39's your in business. The technical specs dont mean much if the results dont sound as you expect them too. Was dissapointed with the 39's in a 2 way.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.