outboard xover - enclosed or not?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i am planning to pull the xover out of the speaker box. currently, they are located at the bottom of the bass cabinet. there are no space elsewhere. however, the terminals are near the top of the whole speaker. as a result, the cables has to run from terminal high up, down to the bottom, and then back up to the drivers. i think that's probably less efficient.

anyway, my question is then, if i do pull them out, and they are pretty big. should i build a box and put them in there? i will have to raise this box up to the level of the terminals with a pair of speaker stand. if there is no sonic advantage, i may just leave them bare..

ah... thanks. i will leave them bare then.

since the entry point into the speaker is so high, i am thinking of getting a cheapo 30" speaker stand, mount a wooden board on top, and have the xover mounted on that.... anyone know of a good source for cheap speaker stand? IKEA? :)

Bill, I agree.
I moved my xovers to the outside of the boxes 'cause I thought I might get around to tweaking them...........I never have, and it's one more thing to be careful of when moving the cabs, one more thing for the kids to play with when you're not looking....
cheers,
Pete McK

I think we all agree that this is not "user-friendly", but the question was...

my question is then, if i do pull them out, and they are pretty big. should i build a box and put them in there? i will have to raise this box up to the level of the terminals with a pair of speaker stand. if there is no sonic advantage, i may just leave them bare..

PeteMcK said:
Bill, I agree.
I moved my xovers to the outside of the boxes 'cause I thought I might get around to tweaking them...........I never have, and it's one more thing to be careful of when moving the cabs, one more thing for the kids to play with when you're not looking....
cheers,
Pete McK

more than a few times i have found myself having to tilt over my 150lb speakers, open up the bottom, unscrew the xovers and mod them. and i just ordered some new inductors so i think i'll have to do it again tonight. the moving and tilting and removing cones and hardfloor protector is a tedious process. and more than once i have unfortunately dug little holes onto the recently finished floor... :(

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
I agree with Peter, isolating the crossover components from the vibrations of the driver has a perceptable effect. Since I discovered this I have always mounted my crossovers externally, in non ferrous boxes.

Peter- did you used to stick your head into the bass bins at live shows too?:)

Interesting discussion.

Everybody has their own opinion on these parameters since it is almost impossible to objectively measure the difference. Sounds different? Maybe. Sound better? [put your answer here].

Heat can be as important as vibration (especially if your connection are loosy :D )

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.