looking to build a high efficency, small speaker. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2005, 09:32 PM   #11
diyAudio Member
 
demogorgon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Behind you.
Send a message via MSN to demogorgon
damn, thats a pretty efficient 6' that one..

to bad about the Fs of 120
(and the 2mm xmax )

this one however, seems to be worth investigating

-Marius
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2005, 07:20 AM   #12
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator
 
planet10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Victoria, BC, NA, Sol III
Blog Entries: 5
Default Re: How high?

Quote:
Originally posted by joe carrow but size and efficiency really are hard to have together.
There is an Sd term in the equation for efficiency... smaller driver, less efficiency.

Bipoles have no baffle step -- it is inherent in the physics.

If you are considering the W3-871 you also need to look at the Aura NS-3. Neither gets anywhere close to the efficiency required.

My 1st thot was Fostex FE127.

dave
__________________
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com, frugal-phile.com ........ commercial site planet10-HiFi
p10-hifi forum here at diyA
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2005, 11:06 AM   #13
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Rotterdam, NL
T/S-parameters for higher sensitivity:

High: Fs, Vas, Bl, Sd. Low: Qes/Qts, Re, Mmd/Mms


Wkr Johan
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2005, 11:43 AM   #14
diyAudio Member
 
demogorgon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Behind you.
Send a message via MSN to demogorgon
Default Re: Re: How high?

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10


There is an Sd term in the equation for efficiency... smaller driver, less efficiency.

Bipoles have no baffle step -- it is inherent in the physics.

If you are considering the W3-871 you also need to look at the Aura NS-3. Neither gets anywhere close to the efficiency required.

My 1st thot was Fostex FE127.

dave
I'l look into bipole construction, but i dont hink it's feasibe in this scenario. to big and i'm counting on bassreflex to straighten up the bottom end curve, i want this speaker to be linear for as long as it can.

the Aura NS-3 is at a 80db\1w, way to low for me.
I was considering the W3-871 in a possible dual\triple arangment, but until Chris clairify on "lobing" the fullrange option is out.
thanks for your input though

Quote:
Originally posted by Rademakers
T/S-parameters for higher sensitivity:

High: Fs, Vas, Bl, Sd. Low: Qes/Qts, Re, Mmd/Mms


Wkr Johan
Johan, thanks, but why just not look at the respons graph and the db\1w?
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2005, 12:48 PM   #15
AJinFLA is offline AJinFLA  United States
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Tampa
If your amp is ok with lower impedance loads then run 2 of these in series mounted bipole in a small enclosure.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-V2p3igg...i=108327CF#Tab
Around $70(ea. pair) on ebay puts you well inside your budget
http://cgi.ebay.com/Infinity-Kappa-3...QQcmdZViewItem
The neo magnets also reduce weight. Email Infinity for the T/S data.
You may have a dealership that has these that you could go listen to them (unlike many of your other options). They sound pretty good to me. They have (real) treble that a fullrange driver can only dream of (I own several TB's). Good luck.


Cheers,

AJ

disclaimer: This is my opinion. I don't care what anyones opinion of my opinion is - other than the original poster.
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2005, 02:26 PM   #16
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator
 
planet10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Victoria, BC, NA, Sol III
Blog Entries: 5
Default Re: Re: Re: How high?

Quote:
Originally posted by demogorgon
I'l look into bipole construction ... too big,

I was considering the W3-871 in a possible dual\triple arangment,
Anytime you start considering 2 drivers, a bipole is a serious consideration. No BS, no combing, same box volume.

dave
__________________
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com, frugal-phile.com ........ commercial site planet10-HiFi
p10-hifi forum here at diyA
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2005, 02:54 PM   #17
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Rotterdam, NL
Quote:
but why just not look at the response graph and the db\1w?
If you recalculate the sensitivity it will mostly appear to be a few dB less, sometimes more than that, sometimes less.
More reliable is the n0, sensitivity is derived from n0 anyway.

Easy to apply is: n0 (%) = 9,6 x 10-8 x Fs^3 x Vas /Qes

The response chart is nice but sometimes optimal designs are used that are unrealistic for the actual use. Always read the small-prints.

Recalculate Xmax as well

Wkr Johan
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2005, 03:01 PM   #18
diyAudio Member
 
demogorgon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Behind you.
Send a message via MSN to demogorgon
Quote:
Originally posted by AJinFLA
If your amp is ok with lower impedance loads then run 2 of these in series mounted bipole in a small enclosure.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-V2p3igg...i=108327CF#Tab
Around $70(ea. pair) on ebay puts you well inside your budget
http://cgi.ebay.com/Infinity-Kappa-3...QQcmdZViewItem
The neo magnets also reduce weight. Email Infinity for the T/S data.
You may have a dealership that has these that you could go listen to them (unlike many of your other options). They sound pretty good to me. They have (real) treble that a fullrange driver can only dream of (I own several TB's). Good luck.


Cheers,

AJ

disclaimer: This is my opinion. I don't care what anyones opinion of my opinion is - other than the original poster.
AJ!

Well, i supose they'r ok, i have no "beef" with car equipment, but i suspect the "sensitivity" is measured at 2.8V, and then it kind of looses it's meaning
thatl translate to 89db\1w, nothing short of average.
i saw the same done at seas with the performance 6.5'inch. 94.5db\1w just sounded to damn good to be true the real efficency was 91.5

thanks for you reply though

-Marius
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2005, 04:37 PM   #19
diyAudio Member
 
demogorgon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Behind you.
Send a message via MSN to demogorgon
Quote:
Originally posted by Rademakers


If you recalculate the sensitivity it will mostly appear to be a few dB less, sometimes more than that, sometimes less.
More reliable is the n0, sensitivity is derived from n0 anyway.

Easy to apply is: n0 (%) = 9,6 x 10-8 x Fs^3 x Vas /Qes

The response chart is nice but sometimes optimal designs are used that are unrealistic for the actual use. Always read the small-prints.

Recalculate Xmax as well

Wkr Johan
Johan!

you are right offcource, but i thought all respons chats are made in anorechtic chambers?
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2005, 10:49 AM   #20
VvvvvV is offline VvvvvV  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: oxfrd
Small full range drivers on modern micro hi-fi's sound pretty amazing, especially in the midrange. gets a really good 5" full range. I would be tempted at doing some kind of foldaway design.


You might even consider a micro transmission line with something so small like that all the efficiency is transferred into bass . Perhaps you could use some PVC gas pipe because it sounds a lot better than wood with something that size.


You could even buy a malfunctional micro hi-fi online and just keep the speakers and the amplifiers and turn it into a micro transmission line.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[noob] Looking to build a really, really small sub Lindell Subwoofers 18 13th November 2007 03:16 PM
8" high efficency woofers - NEED HELP Miha Multi-Way 9 28th February 2007 01:43 PM
Want to build small subwoofer c3ham Subwoofers 76 7th September 2006 08:26 AM
build my first full ranger,let's build another one:a small fullrange high end pc-spea then_dude Full Range 2 30th November 2005 07:54 AM
How inexpensive can you build a small 6-ch amp? mazeroth Chip Amps 9 6th November 2005 03:48 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:16 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2